PDA

View Full Version : East Walker Advice

chemdoc
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
A group of us from the Fly Fishers of Davis are heading down south to the Kern area to fish for heritage trout next week. On the way back we will be staying in Bridgeport and thought we would give the East Walker a try. Having never fished this area before, I was hoping for some suggestions regarding flies, techniques, etc. that are best for this area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Ed Wahl
07-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Phil, I haven't got any fishing advice for you but you did say 'any' advice. I'd advise you to hit the natural hot springs right there in town after you're done fishing. So well worth it you'll be looking up springs to fish around on future trips.

Ed

Jaybinder
07-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Ken's sporting goods has a good report. I caught my biggest fish on a size 20 zebra midge. Use a LOT of weight and fish the edges. Flows are at 900 today, up from 800. I don't fish streamers much but I'm sure the heavier the better.

West walker might be working by then.

Get a steak and a beer at Rhino's.

Ned Morris
07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Could have some epic hatches in July. Caught my biggest fish out of EFW two years ago in July - 26" Brown on surface. Do not got to Rhino's unless you like something on the lines of Denny's. Grab a drink there after dinner. Go to the Bridgeport Inn and get a quality meal and about the best you can do in town. Recommend Best Western or Walker River Lodge for lodging. I would scout around small creeks in the area if time permits.

Sammy
07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
If you've never fished the EW, I would recommend not fishing at these high flows without some guided help. There really moving right now. That being said, you'll probably still go. So fish the bank your standing on... find the slow areas and that's where the fish are. Have fun!

stanbery
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Here is a post from Kens sporting goods:
EAST WALKER RIVER- The East was at 800cfs for most of the week and yesterday was bumped up to 909cfs. It fished ok most of the week with streamers and nymphs and we actually had a few anglers comment that they had some marginal success fishing dry caddis late in the evenings. The river is very difficult to fish at these higher flows, but not impossible. Some keys to fishing at these flows are to be sure to add enough weight to get your nymphs or streamers down towards the bottom where the fish are hanging out most of the time, if using an indicator be sure it's large enough to carry the extra weight you'll need to get down and try to fish water that is moving at a slower rate than the rest of the river like seams back eddy's and slack water. Some patterns that have been working lately include hornbergs, zuddlers, double bunnies, buckskin caddis, flashback emergers, fox's poopah, zebra midges.
For the EW also try white leechs, tan leech and punk perch for streamers and
another fly that works on the EW is Beadhead soft hackle circus caddis in olive or grey.

Jon

Mik
07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
..And don't forget Walker Burger on the way back home. : )

amoeba
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
900 cfs at E. Walker = keep driving to Davis; don't even bother to slow down, open a window, and see froth murking it's way through the willows. Not worth it. Really.

mikel
07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, I'm in the "900 cfs is too high to bother with" camp....but if you do fish it don't forget the SJ worms, lots of weight and a #18-20 zebra midge, RS2 or micro may. There are nice fish and they do have to eat...good luck!

-Mike

ARichcrook
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Skip the EW and hit the reservoir. Yeah they gotta eat but getting your stuff in front of them at that velocity let alone landing them don't sound like all that much fun. Good luck whatever you decide.

chemdoc
07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice. We were planning to hit the Walker since we happen to be staying in Bridgeport on the way back to Davis, but I didn't realize that the flows were so high right now. We were also thinking of going up to Green Creek and it sounds like that or other smaller creeks would be a better idea.

stanbery
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
The EW has dropped to 643 right now.

Green creek is a nice little creek to fish you should like it.

Jon

Sammy
07-14-2011, 12:42 AM
I think Rhino's food is perfect after a 10 hour fish day.