PDA

View Full Version : Carp'n in the valley

Jay Murakoshi
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Here's something I posted on a local board a couple days ago and since then the carp are even thicker.

Went to the lake this morning for an hour and hooked up two decent carp. I was using the RIO carp line with a TFO BVK 8wt rod. Without a boga, I'd say by looking at them they were around 13 to 15lbs. then I had to leave. My feet were eaten by " duck mites". Looks like the water level was almost to the road and lowered last night leaving the grass area soaking wet Perfect conditions for those pesky duck mites. Looks like when I go back up monday morning, I'll be wearing my "field workers" rubber boots, if I can slip them on. The welts these things leave is outrageous.
Kinda hard fighting a fish and shooting video. I didn't take the goPro this morning, should've. I hope to have my video completed and posted to my Vimeo account by late next week.

The "swimmer itch" has been driving me nuts for the past couple days. Today, I"m going to do the Clorox treatment. I'll be going to the lake in the morning with my "farmer boots" on. I hope to hook into a few big ones and capture them on my GoPro. Speaking of GoPro, check out the classified section

Jay

jbird
07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Jay
What flies do you like for carp?

Thanks

The other Jay

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I've been using a san juan worm red, a bead head wooly bugger in brown, a rust colored leech pattern and a dough ball - white egg yarn.

I have some damsel nymphs but they are not sinking fast enough, gonna have to put a mini-micro split shot on the leader. I think it's the leader. Using 6lb florocarbon. I break a lot off but the hook up are more frequent.

Jay

jbird
07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
San juan worm may be a good thing for me to try in some of this dirty water. The bright red may be quite visible. I started throwing damsels at these fish because Ive seen lots of adults buzzing about. Im looking forward to finding carp in cleaner water so I can see their reaction to my flies.

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I would try something black and a big sillouette for the muddy waters. It's a hoot to watch your fly on the bottom get sucked in. Or catch them on top.

Jay