PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Area Update

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm a firm believer in synthesizing information. Several contributors to this BB provide their take on what is happening in the Truckee area from a fly fishing perspective. All of it is helpful; so gather a bit of wisdom here & there and you'll get a pretty decent idea as to what is actually happening in the immediate Truckee area's waters.

For my "take", visit www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com.

Conditions here are slowly stabilizing weather-wise and water-wise. The rest of the summer...and into fall...will provide some wonderful opportunities if you visit the Truckee area.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Last evening, 1/2 dozen Green Drakes adults were on the "upper" BT :eek:. Trout not on them. Only trout hooked ate a #16 dark, Elk Hair Caddis. Water temp was 57. Few rising trout. :sad:

Frank R. Pisciotta

JasonB
07-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Fishing was fast and furious downstream (down closer to Boca) for me yesterday, but all subsurface. Saw one fish pounce on a small caddis on the surface, but otherwise they were hanging low. On the other hand they just couldn't seem to resist rubber leg stones, 20 inchers, bricks, etc... sz 16 caddis (various shades of green) as a droppers also got a lot of attention. Hooked a few on some streamers but couldn't land them.

I'm sure that you Truckee locals are used such fine fishing (and better), but for me this was probably my BEST day fly fishing yet, and by far my best fishing ever on the Truckee. I think my final results ended up either 6 or 7 netted, 7 hooked and lost, and a couple more 1.5 second hello goodbye's. None were huge, but all were very nice sized fish and fiesty! One thing that was very consistent: these fish are STRONG!!! Lots of jumping, fast runs, quick turns, head shakes, and backflips. One big female in the 18-20" range must have done about 5 huge leaps before she finally did one that shook the hook loose; I felt that I had done well to stick with her that long and after that kind of show she had pretty well earned her freedom...
Needless to say, I had an absolute blast.
JB

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Jason...Nice session! IMO, anytime you net 6+ wild trout on the BT you're doing well.
With the addition of the Prosser Creek inflow you were wading in close to 500 cfs of water. That volume of flow, for me, requires a bit more "combat wading" than I prefer. Granted, one prospects the bankside eddies & current seams. But there is always the temptation to reach/wade-out into the stream..."just a bit further-out". The immediate water above the Boca inflow pool (...and the main-stem pool/run above) is really productive pocket-water; all the way to the "east bridge" of The Loop...great water.

Remember, below the Prosser Creek spill-in the water temps will be a few degrees less than publicly-accessed water upstream of the Glenshire Bridge. I'm thinking this warmer water may be more conducive to tempting a trout to the surface...if that is your preference.

I don't know about you but I'm jonsing for some head-hunting. Thus far this season we've been deep-nymphing and/or streamer fishing for an extended amount of time in the Truckee area. My hope is a change of pace is near.

Frank R. Pisciotta

JasonB
07-14-2011, 08:33 AM
With the addition of the Prosser Creek inflow you were wading in close to 500 cfs of water. That volume of flow, for me, requires a bit more "combat wading" than I prefer. Granted, one prospects the bankside eddies & current seams. But there is always the temptation to reach/wade-out into the stream..."just a bit further-out"...

Frank R. Pisciotta

Good point Frank. I would have to concur on the wading; for the most part I never went more than about 5-10 from shore as there is still a lot of current and some deep slippery stuff down there. I did still find that there was access to a lot of very fishable water, but one really does need to be smart about wading (especially this year with all the high water).

As for head hunting for some surface action, man do I hear ya there! I have heard that the Truckee can have some good dry fly action, but I'm starting to become cynical that it's always a matter of dredging the bottom there. Of course this is my first summer fishing there, all my experiences have been over the course of this winter/spring. I am anxious to see some of those big trout rise to the surface, but they seem pretty stubborn about staying low so far.

JB

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
"...head hunting for some surface action, man do I hear ya there! I have heard that the Truckee can have some good dry fly action, but I'm starting to become cynical that it's always a matter of dredging the bottom there."

JB[/QUOTE]

JB----First let me say you're not being cynical when you say that it is a matter of dredging the bottom for more hook-ups; you are being practical :nod: . I doubt that there are many trout fly anglers on this BB who would suggest that if you consistently want to be into fish on freestone waters...especially in the "early" season...it would be fly fishing the on/in the surface film. Simply, if you want to have a higher probabilty of a tight-line on the BT you have to go down.

Like anything there are exceptions. If there is a steady & rhythymic rise during an emergence of aquatic bugs or wind-blown fall-in of land-born insects you may find opportune time to be more successful in the upper water-column. But keep in mind; especially for those who are relatively new at this game; avoid the "Death-Grip" when fishing on top (see my 7/20/10 blog entry, DEFINITION #5, www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com).

Right now, two of the three Big Bugs of June , the Green Drakes & Golden Stonefly adults are, belatedly, flying around this area :unibrow: ; an "opportune time" to be searching for heads.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Well, finally everything is in full-swing in the Truckee area. All the waters are fly fishable & multiple bugs are emerging. Still not lots of consistent head-targets, but prospecting dries/emergers will tempt an opportunistic feeder. Sub-surface still remains the most productive, but the the balance is changing slowly. I'm looking forward to today's guide-date; should be fun.

Yesterday I posted an entry on my blog (www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com).

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
The big Truckee is now in fine fishing shape flow-wise, water temp-wise & with nice clarity. Fly fish the public waters above the Boca inflow upstream to Trout Creek. Best times are the morning hours and the last couple of hours in the evening.

The most rising trout will be seen at twilight eating on top & being duped by Spotted Sedge and Little Yellow Stonefly adults...don't forget about PMD spinners (HINT). During the morning hours to about 1PM a dry/dropper set-up "prospecting" the pocket-water stretches is producing willing opportunistic feeders.

In the deeper runs & pools; sub-surface fishing is a good choice using two-fly tandems & lead as necessary. One's favored generic stonefly nymph (think yellow stonefly & not the larger Golden stonefly nymph since the fully mature ones are no longer appearing in seinings) and an olive or bright green caddis larva pattern.

A new TRUCKEE TRIVIA was posted this morning at www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
the Boca inflow is now at ideal flows of about 280-290 cfs. Considering the fact that the inflow from Prosser introduces cool water; this is the place to be right now. Be careful where you park; the CA Highway Patrol has been giving warnings...thus far.

The area above Prosser (excluding the private water) is getting a bit low now at 170-180 so water temperatures are an issue (say in 10 days) and such will determine the best times of day for the most productive angling.

Frank R. Pisciotta

I'll have a fresh blog (www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com) entry NLT next Friday.

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm a firm believer in synthesizing information. Several contributors to this BB provide their take on what is happening in the Truckee area from a fly fishing perspective. All of it is helpful; so gather a bit of wisdom here & there and you'll get a pretty decent idea as to what is actually happening in the immediate Truckee area's waters.

For my "take", visit www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com.

Frank R. Pisciotta

In the last three days the flow into the Truckee from the dam at Tahoe City has increased 180%; 60-171 cfs....The good news is that the stretch of water along state route #89 will have more water, but the caveat is the water-release is from the top of the lake which will be warmer than water-releases from bottom-release dams such as at Prosser and Boca dams. So bring your thermometer. AM and evenings are advised...ideally.

...But, fished are being duped during the day in pocket-water via "sticking & moving" with either nymphing or dry/dropper methods in the water upstream of the Boca inflow to Prosser Creek...cooler water at a nice fly-fishable mode of 290-300 cfs.

Lots of Spotted Sedges & Yellow Stones and personally unidentified mayflies. Generic patterns are sufficient.

The Little Truckee above Stampede Lake is a good "prospecting" play now in the Perazzo Meadows area. During the last week below Stampede dam there has been a 39% decrease in dam release to 239cfs. IMO, the trout really have not adjusted to the newer flows and feeding lies because of the ramp-downs. There are several mayflies and smallish caddis emerging and flitting around, swallows are working mid-day and the early appearances of dragonflies is occurring on their hunts for the mayfly emergers. Regretably there still remains few consistant snouts exposing themselves.

Frank R. Pisciotta

gilligan
08-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey Frank-Water was at 56 down near Hirschdale this morning. The release from Tahoe hasn't seemed to change a thing, it's been about 58-60 for the last week. Mornings have been cool again, maybe that's why. Fishing is still very good, hope you're getting on some yourself.

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
"...stretch of water along state route #89 will have more water, but the caveat is the water-release is from the top of the lake which will be warmer than water-releases from bottom-release dams such as at Prosser and Boca dams."

Matt---I didn't mean to imply that waters below Prosser & Boca would also be warmer. My intent was that the water above Prosser inflow will be warmer than the cooler water below Prosser. The flow in your canyon are now perfect at 565 cfs. I'm sure it is exposing lot of prime lies which have been difficult to fish during the last months...and really confident you and your clients are having a very good time.

Today I met your buddy Travis at the cabin you helped me rent...thanks again.

Frank R. Pisciotta

jayclarkflyfishing
08-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Yo Frank-
The water in Perazzo is pretty nice with fish eating grey drakes, yellow sallies, and some smaller mays that i wasn't able to identify.

Below the diversion its a different ballgame.Low warm flows and VERY small fish.Seems they bumped up the diversion flows and Independence Creek isn't adding much at a trickle of 8.4 cfs.

Jay

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
The weather around Truckee has been pleasant with blue skies, sparse cloud cover and mild breezes. We are experiencing mid-summer flyfishing conditions(in late August!); most especially clear and warming waters. Plenty of bugs are availalbe providing your timing is accurate; best approach being mornings and evening excursions, whether on moving or stillwaters.

The TRUCKEE RIVER has slowed a bit relative to the more productive angling we had during July and into early August.. The hackneyed reason... waters flirting with the higher 60's... by late afternoon, more signifcant in the upper river above Prosser inflow to Lake Tahoe; flowing at 278 cfs.

So, while angling in the "upper"river", it is best to seek cooler flows, whether you look for such at seepage springs and pocket-water surrounded by aerated whitwater. The other option is to explore the heavier currents below Prosser and Boca inflows; currently at 387 and 558 cfs, respectively. Overall,
deep nymphing techniques will provide the most consistent angling; more so during the heat of the day. "Picking pockets" with dry-dropper methods works best in the AM and during the last light of the day.

Generic patterns in sizes 14-18 are suggested. There are lots of Spotted Sedges with a waning amount of Little Yellow Stones flying around (Hint: in the streamside bushes). Like-sized, dry, downwinged patterns of the aforementioned get opportunistic grabs. Upwings such as Royal Wulffs and Humpies (I prefer ParaChute Humpies); any hair-wing attractors especially in the quicker flows.... Stimulators are good choices and do not hesitate to use an out-sized 10 or 12. The hoppers are thick now.

I must admit the most productive pattern I've used recently, with either deep-nymphing or as a dropper off of an indicator dry has been Matt "Gilligan" Koles' Gil's PMD Nymph. We have some great tyers in this area, even the well-known fly guru Andy Burk; but Gilligan's original patterns are fooling tons of trout in this area...and I do use Andy's patterns.

The Little Truckee is getting very low (139 cfs). There are both mayflies and caddis emerging...but very few heads showing, in the Meadow area. Now is the time of year I personally start using midges; as trailers during nymphing or dry-droppering.

It remains crowded with displays of poor angling etiquette; not to mention scammer guides who do not have USFS permits. The smaller trout are making more of an appearance. IMO, the larger ones have become very educated. Grade A spring-creek tactics...and skills...are required here. If not, do not venture here, you may become very frustrated.

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.cyberfly.com
www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com

El Rey
08-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Frank, thanks for the update. Glad to hear the flows are down on the LT. I think I'll give it a try next week. I especially like the meadow section of the LT that you showed me some years ago. I've had pretty good success there over the years.

Ciao,
Harlan

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Harlan----Yes the LT Meadow, a magical place.

But, not to blow anyone's bubble, I recently got a report of a mountain lion sighting there....extremely rare for this area.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Jed Peters
08-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Harlan----

But, not to blow anyone's bubble, I recently got a report of a mountain lion sighting there....extremely rare for this area.

Frank R. Pisciotta

The Lion was actually spotted by the Teichert night watchman near the entrance to the club....

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Jed----My mention of the mountain lion was one seen in the upper meadow of the Little Truckee about 2-3 weeks ago. The sighting by the night watchman may be the same lion since the distance of the sighting you mention is about 7-8 miles away.

I live in Tahoe Donner. Last year there was a suspected sighting in Tahoe Donner. About a week later tracks were verified as a mountain lion; 1/2 mile from my home! :eek: For years there was a known lion in the Euer Valley. All of these locations are within a 20 miles radius...well within the range of the same lion. Or an off-spring looking to establish new turf.

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows mountain lion behavior, range etc. Please send a PM, post on this thread or start a new thread on mountain lions in the Sierra. I've had bobcat on my back deck, but I'm not really comfortable with bigger, wild cat in the forest behind my home.

Frank R. Pisciotta

jayclarkflyfishing
08-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Frank-
I've lived in the Sierra almost my entire life and I have seen ONE mountain lion in the wild.They are here no doubt, but I don't concern myself with them. I am aware that they are around but the chances that I am attacked are very slim. With that said, I know I have been watched by cats and probably stalked and I have heard them scream on the Sierra Buttes while skiing a couple of years back.

Jay

Ralph
08-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Frank-
Over several years we had a lion routinely hanging near our house on Alder Drive. Lisa jogged underneath it one morning - it was laying on a branch of the tree and jumped off only after she had passed it. Lions are much more common than people suspect. I don't know anyone who has seen a lion in our neighborhood here in Nevada City, yet we pick them up all the time in our camera traps. Cool animals and I wouldn't be overly concerned by a "sighting". I'd be MUCH more concerned by a pack of feral dogs . . . which Truckee does have.

JasonB
08-21-2011, 07:02 AM
... Cool animals and I wouldn't be overly concerned by a "sighting". I'd be MUCH more concerned by a pack of feral dogs . . . which Truckee does have.

Indeed, so would I. Actually the wild animals that concern me the most, BY FAR, are other people.
JB

Ralph
08-21-2011, 01:47 PM
You are right Jason. This was an inside joke - the "pack of feral dogs" are indeed people!

BobVP
08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Having fished that area only a few times....and loving it of course! It IS FISHING after all!....I am still not very familiar with some of the places and access. When you say "Perazzo Meadows" are you meaning that stream area on the south side of Jackson Meadows Road? I've driven by that a few times on my way to a reservoir I fish and have wondered about it. The access is mostly open and a short walk or are there places of access and hikes in? (I prefer hiking in most of the time)

Thanks,

Robert

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I do appreciate the comments on mountain lions in this area.

Ralph...Geeez!! that would be really freaking for me seeing a cougar in the tree as I jogged by. You lived in a less developed area than Tahoe Donner, so it is understandable. Hey, I may be one of those feral dogs; being the city-slicker in my history.

Jay---You too live in a more remote area than I. For sure being raised in your area, I understand were you may be less concerned about the big cats.

By the way, would you mind chipping-in here and responding to Robert's inquiry about Perazzo Meadows fishing conditions since you most likely have been in the area more recently. All I know is that some of the USFS "plug & pool" sections in the meadows have been blown-out with the tremendous amount of run-off this year....thanks in advance.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Jay
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
There are a lot of cats where I live. Matter of fact, many of you will remember the jogger that was killed about 10 years ago. The site of that tragedy is about 2 miles from my house. I see a ton of cat sign around the Auburn State Rec Area, but have yet to see one in the flesh there.

Dan LeCount
08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I talked to the guy that saw that lion a few weeks ago on the LT, he was walking past the Lightning tree(also known as Richards) on the far side and saw it in the bushes. He went downstream and kept on fishing and I saw him(the angler) on his way out and he told me about it. He said it was pretty big.

Still, I havent seen any on the LT personally, but Ive been watched unknowingly at the confluence of Prosser creek and the Truckee.(2 guys told me they had seen one above the rock where I was fishing for quite a while around the same time I was fishing it) This was probably 3-4 years ago.

Down near Lee Vining I had one follow me for I suspect quite a ways, and bolted off when my friend(mammoth guide Scott Flint) started his truck with it in the headlights, maybe 15 feet away. Probably an 8-9 foot lion if you added head, body + tail. Probably around 2-3 years ago.

Jim "BIGFLY" Landis has probably the creepiest lion story though. He was camping and taking a squat in the middle of the night. He heard a twig snap and turned on his headlamp and scanned towards the sound. Spotted 2 very large, widely spaced cat eyes, then lost visuals when it turned away. About 5 seconds later he heard another twig snap almost directly behind him and he picked up its eyes again. It had flanked very rapidly. He made a huge loud ruckus and went back to his truck, no less worse for wear.

Big cat stories aside, the biggest dangers around here arent the cats. Maybe lost tourists in SUVs, drunk locals, rabid racoons/rodents or maybe even lightning.

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Starting this Friday the weather changed a bit...slightly. Suddenly there was more cloud cover and the winds picked-up a bit. On Saturday there seemed to be a threat of thundershowers; which I personally welcome. Just as quickly, today, Sunday the 28th, there are no clouds and no wind (at least at my place in Truckee). But, as always, remember when visiting the Truckee area that there are micro-climates here; it can be blustery & wet in one location and 6-7 miles away, clear skies, no wind and in the low 80's.

The waters remain clear. Remember to bring your water thermometer regardless of where you fish because it can be the difference between tight lines and no tugs...timing.

The TRUCKEE RIVER is currently best fished in the AM and at dusk. If you fish through the day; seek the cooler flows downriver of Prosser & Boca inflows. You will find warmer flows "upper"river" above Prosser Creek; currently flowing at 273 (along Glendshire Drive/West River Street) to 246 (Tahoe City).

As mentioned in my previous post, while angling in the warmer water-temps seek seepage springs and pocket-water surrounded by aerated whitwater. The most consistent, all day, methods in the heavier flows remain deep nymphing techniques with dry-dropper rigs worth doing in riffles and bank-side edges & under shrubbery.

The LITTLE TRUCKEE is getting very low (106 cfs). There are both mayflies and caddis emerging, but not intense hatches, very sparse. There remains few, if any, consistent risers in the Meadow area; below, yes. Midges are numerous; consider trailing one whether fishing sub-surface or on below/in/on the miniscus.

FAUNA OBSERVATIONS:

increased sightings of weasels, mountain quail & off-spring, Clark's Nutcrackers; no bald eagles...yet

jayclarkflyfishing
08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Moravia-
Yes Perazzo Meadows is the large meadow system on the south side of the Jackson Meadows highway.It has good access from the dirt road on the south side of the river. The USFS has been rehabbing the meadow using a "pond and plug" method that ,surprisingly, held together during the high flows this spring.There are some nice brookies in the ponds of the rehab area and also above the meadow section. Flows were still fairly good a week ago in this section.Below the Sierra Valley Water Company's diversion dam flows are crap at a measly 3 cfs(required base flow).

The area is stunning and the fishing ain't bad.Could provide some great fishing in future years.

Jay

PS My scary big cat story...skiing on the Sierra Buttes a few years ago I saw cat tracks following skier tracks from the previous day.A large male and a smaller female hunting the skiers.We heard them scream but never saw them.I took lots of pics of the cat tracks following the tracks of the other skiers.

royewest
08-28-2011, 07:34 PM
"heard them scream but never saw them" -- heard who scream???

jayclarkflyfishing
08-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Royewest-
We heard the cats scream...the other skiers made it out safely and probably never knew they were being stalked.

Jay

BobVP
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the information Jay. Next time I am up that way I will stop there and give the meadows a try. I love small stream fishing...

My cat story: I grew up in a place that is now all National Park, Point Reyes peninsula (Inverness Park to be exact, so our playground was "the woods" or Tomales Bay and Papermill Creek. From a very young age it meant nothing to disappear from the house all day long into the woods behind the house and even to hike over the hill to Drakes Bay. On one of my forays up the local creek to catch "native" brown trout (planted by the German immigrants....part of my heritage) I was walking along and saw a large, old, gray haired cat about fifty yards away. It looked at me and I looked at it for quite a few seconds. Then it wandered upstream and I decided to end my fishing day right then. Just about 3/4 mile from my house. Didn't see another one in California for almost 35 years...that one running across the road on hwy 128 here in Mendocino.

Beautiful creatures best seen first by us than us by them I think. Just like Game Wardens I am sure those of us that wander in the wild areas along streams have been observed.

Troutstalker55B
08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
As long as we are sharing cat stories I’ve got a few. My first cat sighting was driving to the McCloud River on Hwy 89 about 10 miles east of town. This cat poked his head out on the side of the road and slipped back in. Complete positive ID. The second one was on my property here between Graeagle and Portola in the very early am. My blue heeler, Madison was up all night barking and just sitting at the back porch window, watching – There was something out there I thought. That next morning as I’m making coffee, this cat is walking down my driveway with half a deer carcass in its mouth. I’ll never forget those big hips swaying to and fro and that way too long of a tail! My third encounter that should have resulted in getting attacked happened at the McCloud River. Fishing and camping alone I had just finished dinner and it was dark out. From the last remaining old building there I heard what I thought was some female getting it from her man, it was loud! It was too much and I had to confront the couple as I wanted to sleep. As I got the building armed with only a headlamp there was no one there. Then the crazy sex chanting started again, I thought to myself “Wow, this couple is taking it to the next level!” So I went down a path to see if I could stop the “passion”, I turned on my head lamp and there were three sets of eyes 30 feet away from me! In a blink of an eye I knew exactly what was going down around me, my hair stood up on end, and I backed up ever so slowly, they just went on about their business. I did not sleep well that night. Lucky?

Jon.

RenoLipRipper
08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
First one about ten years ago in Chino Hills State Park, Southern Calif. while mountain biking early like 7:00am about 5 miles in just past the ranger station etc. while going up a slight hill in the fog see a large cat come leaping down an enbankment to my left. I slammed the brakes and watched as the cat took about 5 strides and jumped down the embankment to the right. Needless to say, I turned it around and hi tailed it outa there. Saw the park ranger comming to work, and stopped him and informed him of the sighting, his words were to look big. He said with all the food there, rabbits etc. not much to worry about. I always have a wierd feeling I am being watched in some areas, especially going up very slow grinding uphills in granny gear.

I used to see bobcats all the time. But they were so used to seeing people that they would be in the trail and just look at you.

My biggest concern is while going at speed on the mountain bike and comming around a corner and the cat has a kill and spooking him. But maybe they would hear my from such a long distance that they would be long gone, still at times I make a lot of noise.

Have seen tracks in the snow up here in Virginia City Higlands on some of the dirt roads during winter. We know there are cats up here.

Have seen tracks at the East Carson late winder in snow at Hangman's on the upper trail last year while going way back to the other areas of the East Carson. Sorta spooky when you are by yourself and there are all sorts of trees and brush in which something could be hiding/stocking you.

Even last week while driving to the mid area of E. Carson and then walking in the mile or so, must say I was a bit hyper sensitive to my surroundings. Felt like I was being watched as I was watching out more for rattlers.

I have heard that there are cats off of the Kirman lake trail. Must say there are a few good places to hide and ambush a unsuspecting hiker/fisherman.

I try not to be paranoid of the wild life in the areas I fish etc.. But maybe a good thing.

How about hiking/biking into Marlette, bears and lions are there for sure.

Last year my wife and I went mtn. biking off of Kingsbury grade a few mile down the road from Heavenly then up to some starting point. We where following a great single track then ended up on some atv road which we thought was the wrong way so we took a fork to the left. After about an hours of bushwacking it, climbing over logs, etc. we popped out on highway 50 just down the road from the 50/28 intersection, (Spooner Lake) and there was a sign that said bear crossing.

Enough of this talk, the next 5-10 days I will be fishing, hiking and biking in possible cat/bear territory, don't want to think about it.

Ralph
08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
In all of North America (including Canada and Mexico) there is fewer than one mountain lion killing per year. We're talking tens of thousands of lions and many millions of humans. An average of 130 people are gored and killed by deer in the same period. 18,000 are purposefully killed by other humans.

The lion hysteria is hysterical.

caltagm
08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
That's a very important statistic......but what if I'm the one????

:)

Ralph
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
That's a very important statistic......but what if I'm the one????

:)
I feel deep sorrow for those who whimper and cow at every whiff of demise. Slow death by cancer, MS, stroke, heart disease, Alzheimer's stretched out over the years? Something is going to bring you down.

By comparison, a swift and magnificent killing by an apex predator while wandering the banks of a mountain stream? Sign me up!

caltagm
08-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh Ralph, c'mon. Lighten up.

I would much rather be a part of the food chain than waste away.