PDA

View Full Version : Southern Oregon Mid-August?

pvsprme
07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm going to my 40th High School reunion in PDX August 12-13th. Taking the next week off work and want to fish either the Deschutes around Maupin or a coastal stream that has Summer Steelhead. I'll make a real-time decision based on Bonneville count, temperatures. Not looking for any advice on these 2, know both areas well. What I'm looking for is input on Hwy 97, south thru Bend to K-Falls. I'm turning off at KF to hit up a couple NE CA streams/lakes and reservoirs. I figure I'll have a couple days to spend between Maupin/K-Falls and hope someone can suggest something that'd be good. Have float tube & 'toon, will be truck camping. Not looking for any secret spots, but general advice would be much appreciated. I've often wanted to fish Agency Lake and the trib's, is it a good time of year? Diamond lake was a thought, as was the North U as well, tho that would require more driving. Is it a good drive from 97 to Diamond Lake and down into the NU Canyon?
Thaks,
Robert

royewest
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM
We were on Diamond Lake and the NU last August. Diamond lake is just below Crater Lake. CL, DL, and the NU from DL down to Roseburg is all very beautiful and worth the drive if you haven't done it. Last year the roads were also very good.

If you search recent threads you'll read that DL is pumping out fat rainbows at an alarming rate. You can rent a small motor boat from the resort.

Last year that NU was very slow for steelhead -- haven't heard a report this year.

jbird
07-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Lots happenning that time of year. In central oregon you should look at east lake and craine prairie. Hosmer can be good too. Reaching the end of prime time for agency/klamath but can still be dynamite. Forget about Diamond in august. It is a spring/fall fishery and suffers from warm water in the summer. Last year had a toxic algae bloom in july and august. You can catch fish in deeper water but it is not the fishery youve been hearing about. Gotta hit it before july and after mid sept for the epic fishing. Try steelhead on the upper rogue. Wet wading for august steelies can be excellent from tou velle on up. With both dams down its expected fish will be arriving in numbers earlier than past years.

Rick J
07-09-2011, 10:28 AM
The NU is one of the most beautiful steelhead rivers in the world but the catching can be tough - well worth seeing it if you have not. However, know that you need some sort of corkers or studs on your boots and a wading staff is very helpful - it is still high but should be in good shape by August - this is one spot I don't mind getting skunked on which is a good thing as it can happen frequently. This is a great river for skating dries

pvsprme
07-09-2011, 10:30 AM
JBird,
Thanks, I went to school in Bend in 73-74, Hosmer, East, Paulina all were good times. Thanks for the info on DL and Agency. Rogue will be put on the watch list.

NorCalDrifter56
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Try the Williamson River between Chiloquin and Agebcy lake (just north of Klamath Falls on hwy 97).

That may be the best place on the west coast to catch a true trophy rainbow.

Have fun!

jjjewett
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Talk to Bob:

http://www.williamsonriverretreat.com

bubzilla
07-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Headline of last Sunday's local newpaper in the Klamath Basin said it best "Is there too much water?" We had an extremely wet late spring this year. The Williamson is twice its normal level currently; the Wood is unfishable due to snow runoff flow and clarity issues. Even if the flows were in good shape on the Williamson, the water temperature in the river is actually higher than the lake right now eliminating the primary reason for the fish to enter the system in the first place (lived here most of my life, and have never seen that before). Point? Mid-August is tough on the Williamson even in a good water/weather year unless you really know the water, and this year will likely be even tougher.

Rogue flows are really high right now as well--likely will continue to be throughout the summer. North Umpqua is probably the best bet out of the fisheries listed in this thread. Fishing is always tough there, but its likely to be tough everywhere this August.

scozach
07-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Great article in the latest issue of Northwest Flyfishing on the area.
I just got back from fishing in SunRiver late June. Check out the upper Deschutes some nice brokies.
Have fun, I did.