PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Grove Kings Canyon

BillB
07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone been down in the Cedar Grove area of Kings Canyon?

pvsprme
07-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Bill,
It's still raging
http://www.dreamflows.com/realtime.php#California_Sierra_West_Slope_Southern
over 10,000 CFS at Rodger's crossing.

BillB
07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks Roger. I did see that the flow has exceeded their measuring devices. Guess I can sit under the trees and watch the kids and grand kids.

Cruzin4Metalheads
07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Been down there quite a bit in college. Some good fishing to be had for sure. Most fish are smallish, 10-12 range but there are a few bigger fish mixed in. I think it will be fishable by about 2nd week of august.

BillB
07-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Cruzin4Metalheads, don't know if you ever dropped off of Yucca Point or the "slide" or fished above Garnette Dike Campground but there are some very large specimens to be had . . . if the hike or snakes don't kill you! Going down is not that great, walking back out down right sucks!

Cruzin4Metalheads
07-13-2011, 12:03 PM
BillB, Yep i have fished those before, with the exception of the "slide", not sure where that is. Probably have fished it without knowing it. Gotta love that hike coming back up yucca point! yeah watch out for our serpentine friends on those hikes for sure. I think the most I saw was 4 in one day, just about stepping on one, my friend with me said it looked like i jumped 6 ft straight up. Yes there are some very big fish in those stretches without a doubt. my biggest rainbow down in one of those stretched was about 26" and a brown about 28".

BillB
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Just got back from beautiful Cedar Grove. I spent four great days there and have never seen the park so green! Neither have I seen the river so high at any time of the year! Managed to high stick a few out of calmer water but little or no "green" water to speak of.

Cruzin you will appreciate this. No green water from the confluence of the middle and south forks up the middle fork as far as you can see. From Boyden Cave to Grizzly Falls class 5 rapids, zero green water. By the way the "slide" was a slide of rip-rap, maybe half way between Yucca Point and Convict Flats, that was straight down to the river. No trail, only climbing over the rip. I was certainly young and very foolish to attempt such a feat. None of us ever rolled a bolder and went with it or placed a hand on one of our "friends." Good thing we were lucky because we were sure stupid!!!! My nine year old grandson did spot about a two footer (friend) at roads end.