PDA

View Full Version : any ideas?

Mik
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Found out the lake I wanted to backpack to this weekend is frozen over. Anyone have any suggestions where to backpack this weekend. Looking for a 5 mile hike at most.

Fly Guy Dave
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
What area are you thinking of? Maybe you could narrow it down a bit as far as locale.

I fished a lake at around 6,500 feet last week that was just icing out and it was S L O W. There are a few other lakes I want to hit, but they're all over 8,000 feet, so I assume that they're still frozen over.

--Fly Guy Dave

Morgan
07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Good luck. Most of the snow is still staying up in those regions. Give it another week or two for those hike to lakes. We still have lakes and resevoirs you cant get to yet cause of the snow. Its a late year up here in the sierras.

EricW
07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
http://caribouwilderness.org/CaribouLake/
It could be a soggy mosquito fest but snow was about to break a couple weeks ago.

Mik
07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Decided not to backpack. I called about 3 ranger stations and they advised most anything above 8000 still has a ton of snow. I think we are about 1-2 weeks away from hot action.

We ended up camping at Silver Lake and used it as homebase. Fished the West Carson for a couple of rainbows. Got a few brookies at Kirkwood lake. Bank fished at Silver Lake and Indian Creek Res. for a few bows. Caples was very slow.

Scott V
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Mik is Red Lake thawed? I am assuming you drove by it.

Ed Wahl
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I was by there yesterday. It's thawed and had people out fishing on it.

Ed

SHigSpeed
07-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I was by there yesterday. It's thawed and had people out fishing on it.

Ed

Was the fear of fish kill substantiated or did the brookies pay their heating bill this winter?

_SHig

Ed Wahl
07-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Sorry Shig, I had other places to go and didn't stop to find out. I just peeked from the overlook.

Mormon Emigrant Trail was open on the way up but gated off at the top in the evening. Some rocks and a couple of small snowdrifts on the roadway still but it should be cleared any time now.

Ed

Mik
07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Red looked great. Although I had to keep my eyes on the road with all the Death Ride folks on the road.