PDA

View Full Version : New England in October

daveiam
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I am traveling to Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire in October for the fall colors. I also want to get in at least one day of fly fishing. Looking for any recommendations you might have for rivers and guides. I am open to anything in New England, but lately I have been looking at the Battenkill in Vermont.

So, if anyone has a recommendation(s) please drop me a line.

Pete
07-06-2011, 01:11 PM
If you will be near Stowe, Vermont, (Montpelier area) contact the Fly Rod Shop – very friendly staff and will give you lots of info on where to fish nearby. The Dog River runs through that area too. http://www.flyrodshop.com

If you will be around Maine’s south coast, Cape Elizabeth area, look up the Eldredge Bros Fly Shop. The shop is on US Route 1. Great shop and local guides can be recommended from the shop as well - opportunities to pursue brookies and landlocked salmon as well as stripers and blues on the coast. http://www.eldredgeflyshop.com

New England is a pretty special place. Enjoy the trip.

LNelson
07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
That is a lot of area to decide on for one day of fishing. If I were only able to fish one day while here, the Battenkill wouldn't be the place. In fact if I were traveling through New England in the fall, I would do something other than fish while in Vermont and spend my one day fishing in Maine or out on Cape Cod for the fall striper migration.

daveiam
07-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will check out each of your recommendations.

jcanger
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Dave,

Not sure what you're targeting - trout or salt species? Or what kind of time you have to spend away from your foliage party. But I agree with what others have said. If in search of salt species, Cape Elizabeth in ME or the coasts of the Vineyard or Nantucket for stripers.

But if searching for trout, consider avoiding the Battenkill. Yes, there's a chance of catching a historic brown, but they're few and far between; a really tough fishery. In the Montpelier area, the dog could be good. But also consider the White River (about 20-30 miles into VT on 89) and its three branches (do some bluelining for these and other small streams in the South Royalton, Bethel, Turnbridge, Chelsea areas). There's excellent foliage in and around that area that time of year, and excellent "antiquing" nearby in Queechee and Woodstock if you need to lose some of your party to enjoy the river/streams in peace. In October, the weather won't be as humid as now but wet wading will still be possible. Caddis and mayfly hatches in the morning and towards the end of the day. A five weight on the main stems will suffice, but if you have a three weight, dropping dries in pocketwater of some of these small streams can be really exciting.

Learned to fly fish in that central area of Vermont. PM me if you have any questions.

jcanger

Larry S
07-12-2011, 05:54 PM
jcanger:
Wow! That's pretty good advice; especially considering the price. Hope the traveler
posts a report when he returns.
Larry S