PDA

View Full Version : Bear River Reservoir?

Woodman
07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I hear a lot of reports of good trout fishing at Lower Bear River Reservoir...but not usually from flyfishers. Does anyone who fishes it from a tube or pontoon want to part with some intelligence?

What about the Upper Reservoir? Is it worth the hike in with a tube? What's the closest access point?

Thanks in advance for any help. Planning to try it Friday if I can get some leads.

TaylerW
07-05-2011, 09:56 PM
lower bear is a good spot. decent fishing. normal deal. intermediate will work, buggers ect.

ARichcrook
07-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Woodman, please let us (or me :D) know how it goes. I am thinking of hitting that place up at the end of the month myself.

Thanks, Rich

kabah088
07-11-2011, 09:06 PM
i was here last week..... totally bypassed the lower lake to find excellent fishing with no one around. excellent fishing despite the drunks shooting across the lake at our unseen campsite on the 4th of July. Did not phase us as we cooked our dinner behind trees while zingers passed over our camp. there are some hungry trout in those waters..... all the rainbows had bugs in their stomach and the brown only had small what looked like to be rainbow trout fry. And yes i ate a couple fish during my stay....

as for the lower lake the best and most consistent fishing is at the outlet dam at the east side of the lake...

oh yeah did i mention there are no fish in these lakes?

kabah088
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
all the fish caught on the fly were on olive buggers and black buggers purchased from cabelas (beadhead and some with rubber legs)

Terry Imai
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
IMO, the Bear River Reservoir is not a very "rich" lake when compared to other lakes who have more of a tailwater or spring creek flavor. Most of the resident and hold-over fish have learned to survive on a decent midge population on that water. Using a dark midge nymph pattern in sizes #18-22 suspended under a very sensitive indicator or dry fly. No big red and white 1 1/4" bobber will work. To really finetune your setup, I would use a weighted pheasant tail flashback in either #16 or #18 as your bottom fly. Use a 12" tippet above your pheasant tail and then barrel knot to your leader. Put a cinch knot above your barrel knot and put your dark midge on a 6" dropper. You'll have to figure the correct position of your indicator but make sure it's small since the takes will be very gentle. I would fish close to shore especially along the rocks that are I believe on the western side of the lake.

If you get good with this type of fishing will assist you with the really big fish in the various rich stillwaters.

Hope you have some good fishing....