PDA

View Full Version : Went to Silver Fork

Mike O
07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Family outing...too many people up there to fish.

Water looking better, still fast flowing above and through China Flat CG.

Had a picnic at China Flat, and had to duck the swarms of ladybugs up there. Major hatch/emergence going on.

That's it! Bait dunkers reported no fish to hand.

Woodman
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the report. With the strange year, it's good to get some firsthand reports of water conditions. I'm thinking late July for the Silver Fork through the fall.

Dave K
07-13-2011, 01:33 AM
I was just up on the Silver Fork, just past China Flat Campground, this weekend. The water was still higher than what I'm used to seeing and moving very fast. The river was very green but visibility wasn't too bad. I could see boulders 4 feet deep or more in the few calm spots. I was wet wading up to my knees and the water was very cold.
One hiker I passed caught a trout on a Kastmaster in the pool I was headed to and I got a refusal on a big dry at the same spot. Next day my buddy got a refusal on a Kastmaster in the same pool. I hope to get up there again when it slows a bit.

kokaneejr
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys for the update makes it easier to plan trips from a little further away. Conditions sound like a trip in early August might be perfect here. Thanks again.

Scott V
07-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys for the update makes it easier to plan trips from a little further away. Conditions sound like a trip in early August might be perfect here. Thanks again.

I'll let you know when it is fishing good. I will probably start going in the beginning of August.

westslope
07-14-2011, 09:45 PM
The South Fork American and its larger tribs are slowly dropping into shape. Today the SFA was below a 1000 cubes near Kyburz which is great news. Even though its dropping, Silver Fork with the addition of Caples can still be in the 300-500 range which is down right scary in many spots.

The upper portion of Alder Creek has been fishing well with the confluence coming into a good level soon. Plum creek fished well 3-4 weeks ago, but has already dropped out of shape unless you're fishing the confluence with the SFA which is almost impossible to reach considering the flows near Riverton.

I'm heading up into the canyon tomorrow to recon the upper beats of the SFA along with a few of the tribs. I'll post with some up-to-date beta upon my return.

Feel free to send a PM, email or give a call. I'm always happy to share any information.

All the Best,

Todd Gillihan (owner/guide)
West Slope Outfitters
Ph 530.417.1218
Email tjgillihan@gmail.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Here is Todd's new web site:

http://westslopeoutfitters.com/

Jaybinder
07-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Any recent reports on the Silver Fork? I am going up on thursday.

Thanks
Jason

westslope
07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Silver Fork flows are dropping daily and we are quickly moving into summer like conditions. The upper section near the confluence with Caples is still big and fast but the lower sections between Silver Fork CG and China Flat CG are good to go. I try to stay away from the campgrounds themselves due to the amount of pressure, but I've been picking up fish while fishing beats adjacent to the road and in the canyon sections.

Moving quick, picking pockets with a dry/dropper set-up has been working. Lots of bugs and willing fish if you stay until dark. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm always happy to share any info.

Scott V
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Todd, I may head up Thursday after work, let me know if you want to meet up and fish til dark. My 3 weight is itching to go.

DV8
07-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Was up last week to throw the new 3 wt. Still high, but fish-able. Was closer to caples, Stimulators in the evening were the ticket for for. Mornings were dead. Spin guys have been pulling all the fish out of the big pools, I'd do a little walking to avoid the crowds.

Scott V
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I'd do a little walking to avoid the crowds.

99% of the people will never fish the areas that I fish on the Silverfork. I always find water with no people, I love to hike.

Eric M
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I can"t agree with Scott more. Lots of water to cover if you are lucky enough to be able to.

kokaneejr
07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Scott looking forward to your report. I have been hoping it is ready.

Can you check out the camping spot I was in to see if things are still O.K. there. They keep changing things in reguards to parking and stuff.

I am going to air out the sleeping bag and begin tying a few rubberlegs. :)