PDA

View Full Version : Simms back into felt soles

Ralph
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with felt, but when wading really gnarly stuff there simply isn't any substitute for studded felt. Glad SIMMS is back in the game. Now, if everyone would freeze, dry, or Sparquat their gear it would be a win all the way around.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/flytalk/2011/07/simms-back-felt

Bruce Slightom
07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Ralph, I am not familiar with Sparquat can you give a bit of information on the product?

Mike McKenzie
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Some info here....:

http://www.flyline.com/environmental/nzms/

Mike

amoeba
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
All equipment gets dirty - buying rubber soles doesn't clean it or make it cleaner - cleaning does. I pressure wash all my equipment and rinse with hot water after every use. And I stay away from mud snail areas as best I can, like Putah Creek. DFG can close it to fishing for all I care.

Fly Guy Dave
07-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I agree in the idea that buying rubber soled wading boots "protects" a person from spreading the NZMS, that idea is a bunch of hooey. However, I'm sure you're well aware of much more impressive waters than Putah Creek that now have a NZMS infestation: the Lower Owens, Hot Creek, the American, Russian, Smith and Klamath Rivers, Lake Shasta and Silver Creek in Idaho and the Ranch section of Henry's Fork plus the Madison and in Yellowstone Park. Perhaps you're willing to write off Putah, but I'm not willing to give up these other GREAT places without taking some pretty easy precautions to prevent the spread of these pests. I still use felt soled boots, but a little prevention before stepping into the next stream or lake is certainly in order. It sounds like you do the same, but perhaps other folks need to step up and do what is right. Merely my two cents. :)

Cheers!

--Fly Guy Dave

J.E.M. Hull
07-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Or if you don't spending the cash, have separate boots labeled for each of the waters you regularly fish. Think of it as an investment in future fishing fun.

Fly Guy Dave
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
That's a LOT of pairs of wading boots! :eek:

I like it when they make it easier for anglers, like at Silver Creek, ID, they provide a big tub filled with 409 solution and a scrub brush, so anglers can clean their gear before or after their session. Too bad other places couldn't do the same.

--Fly Guy Dave

OceanSunfish
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Most ardent flyfishers have more flyrods than they need.... most would confess.....

Therefore, I don't see any reason why it's unfathomable to have more than one pair of wading boots.....

Many wading boots are of fabric uppers..... perhaps harder to clean, etc. The old standby Danners are very easy to clean..... I was about to toss my very old Danners, but they'll do just fine for a waterway that is infested with something...... and they'll be used only for that waterway....

IMO, a little reallocation of time (tie one less fly) and money (sell one reel or rod you don't use) can go a long way to prevent the spread of NZMS, et. al.

I just don't know why this "problem" is being made so difficult. Buy a few pair of wading boots if ya don't want to sterilze after each use...... it's so simple.

amoeba
07-06-2011, 01:57 PM
well gee:

My 2 prs of Danners (from Kiene's, no less) - have kevlar braid uppers and some leather. The stitching and the kevlar were woefully subject to abrasion wear, and I actually modified them with ankle patches of leather, and covered the seams with aquaseal, to keep them.

It's disappointing to see leather go away. Simms made all-leathers until recently (maybe 2-3 years ago) in either the G3 or before that, the guides. Now the guides are combination leather/synthetic, and the G4's are some fabric (kevlar) mesh. The all-leather G3's were something like $220 retail, and lightly used ones still in demand, go on flea-bay for $150 and up (more for studded felt), if you can find them at all. That will change if Simms brings all-leathers back - which they probably will at some point.

Anyway, I would NOT recommend any form of chemical treatment. The transfer of IS, if it occurs via boots, is a function of inoculum size - reducing it by 99.9% by washing/scrubbing is going to do the MOST good. I doubt there is any residual risk associated with the 0.1% left - which is the subject of the chemicals that I suspect - are not so good for the boot materials/adhesives, or the environment.

chainsaw510
07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
who is driving the bus.the dead presidents.lord knows the creatures that harbor in the felt soles can't also hide in the the boot itself.there are hundreds of nooks where they can hide.next they will recommend wading bare foot and please clean under your toe nails.:shock:

OceanSunfish
08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Most ardent flyfishers have more flyrods than they need.... most would confess.....

Therefore, I don't see any reason why it's unfathomable to have more than one pair of wading boots.....

Many wading boots are of fabric uppers..... perhaps harder to clean, etc. The old standby Danners are very easy to clean..... I was about to toss my very old Danners, but they'll do just fine for a waterway that is infested with something...... and they'll be used only for that waterway....

IMO, a little reallocation of time (tie one less fly) and money (sell one reel or rod you don't use) can go a long way to prevent the spread of NZMS, et. al.

I just don't know why this "problem" is being made so difficult. Buy a few pair of wading boots if ya don't want to sterilze after each use...... it's so simple.

My bad..... I really meant to say "my old Weinbrenners", not Danners......

fishsticker78
08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Freezing your gear works too for NZMS. However, doesn't work for chytrid virus, so the best thing to do is decontamintate with Metaquat.