PDA

View Full Version : Help on a striper boat please!

Ryan
06-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Bill I know your the man to ask about this, but if anyone else has any advice please let me know. I posted a while back and shortly after decided to go with a 1448 jon boat, and I wanted it to be rated for like a 25 hp motor. But I found this 14' jon on craigslist which is rated for a 15 hp motor, and I don't think it is a 1448 model. All I know is it is a 14' aluminum craft the guy said. Anyways seems like an absolutely killer deal, but it just doesn't seem to be exactly what I wanted. Here is the link, please tell me what you think about this boat for rivers such as the delta, american, lower feather, sac, ect for stripers.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2468329997.html
All I really want to do is get a boat like andy used to have, does anyone know what size motor he used to run a few years back in his 2 person jon boat which he guided the American on? Also was his boat a 1448 model? Thanks in advance for any response!

ted1
06-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Trailer is too small for the boat, you won't be able to drop the tailgate, and there will be alot of tongue weight to move. It doesn't look like a john boat either, looks like a V. Motor looks like crap. Will not move that boat much. Also, it is priced too high. There are alot of better boats out there.

Mr T
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Trailer is too small for the boat, you won't be able to drop the tailgate, and there will be alot of tongue weight to move. It doesn't look like a john boat either, looks like a V. Motor looks like crap. Will not move that boat much. Also, it is priced too high. There are alot of better boats out there.

+1 to that, I'd keep looking.

Tony Buzolich
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Ryan,

You might really want to consider "Where" you're going to be using this boat. A small boat like Andy's is great for the American with a 5 mph zone the entire river, but where else might you use this boat? I see small boats all the time with water almost to their gunnels and big jet boats blasting by them WAYYYY too close. What about the delta and the wakes those big cruisers throw? If it's only the American just be careful.
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
That might be a 14' x 42" or a 14' x 36".

The second number is measured at the bottom rear of the boat under the motor.

14' x 48" is a great size but narrower is not to good for standing and fly casting.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

I think you can get a Tracker Grizzly all welded 14' x 48" Jon boat for about $2,148.00.

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3302

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Trailers are around $1,000+

A good 25hp like a Yamaha 4 stroke is about $3,500.

You might be able to buy a good used 25hp 2 stroke motor for $1000?

Lowe Boats has a new Roughneck Jon boat that is 14' x 55" and all welded and .100" aluminum.They have one at Sutter Marine in Yuba City right now.

http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/welded-jon/roughneck-jon/r1455.php

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

5 hp is not enough and a Briggs & Stratton is a very cheap motor.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Save your money and look for something better.

briansII
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Bill I know your the man to ask about this, but if anyone else has any advice please let me know. I posted a while back and shortly after decided to go with a 1448 jon boat, and I wanted it to be rated for like a 25 hp motor. But I found this 14' jon on craigslist which is rated for a 15 hp motor, and I don't think it is a 1448 model. All I know is it is a 14' aluminum craft the guy said. Anyways seems like an absolutely killer deal, but it just doesn't seem to be exactly what I wanted. Here is the link, please tell me what you think about this boat for rivers such as the delta, american, lower feather, sac, ect for stripers.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2468329997.html
All I really want to do is get a boat like andy used to have, does anyone know what size motor he used to run a few years back in his 2 person jon boat which he guided the American on? Also was his boat a 1448 model? Thanks in advance for any response!

If this is a 06' Alumacraft, not a "aluminum craft", the hull is probably ok. To me, the Briggs & Stranton motor does not add much value to it. Likewise for the trailer.

briansII

Sturmer White
07-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Call Larry Lee (916) 962-0616
He just bought a bigger boat yesterday.
He is going to sell his old one.

Larry S
07-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Sturmer:
PM sent.
Larry S

Ryan
07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the responses... I didn't get that boat, I found a much nicer polar kraft 14x48 with a 20 horse honda... Thanks again for all the input, if it weren't for this board I would have had no clue to what I should have gotten, but now it sounds like I got just the right boat for what I want...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Cool Ryan...bring it by the shop some day.

That sounds like a sweet setup.

Ryan
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Will do bill! I'll be swinging it by first time I have it in Sac.