PDA

View Full Version : Starter (Gecko) or Used?

Dean Y.
06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
A classifieds thread mentioned Echo's Gecko as a good starter rod for kids. What's the advantage of buying this type of rod over, let's say, a used 5wt rod?

I'll stop in the shop to get some info. But, I'd like to get a some input from those who have made this decision. thanks.

Rich Morrison
06-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Totally your preference my friend. The Gecko rods have bright colors for blanks and grips - smaller grips for smaller hands and shorter lengths. IMO a used 7' to 8' 4 or 5wt with a western grip (or sanded down to that size) gets the job done just as well. My middle daughter (10 yrs old) has shown a real interest so I had a custom built (on a Baston blank) 4 piece 7' 6" 4wt with a western grip made for her - a pretty little no frills rod but had her name put on and everything. It's a nice mod action rod - good teaching rod and she absolutely loves it. She was so excited to see her name on it. That ran me around $150 - well worth it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2011, 07:45 AM
We have some stuff we put together for kids......

We have TFO "Bug Launchers"for kids for $79.00

We have small Redington reels for $39.00

If you buy one of each I have some Scientific Angler Master GPX lines that I can donate that are normally $69.95

Total $118.00

__________________________________________________ ________________________

For bigger kids and adults we have a Redington package that is a 9' #5 line in 4 piece with a reel and line and rod & reel case for $139.00........super hot.

This is absolutely the best deal for a really nice casting complete outfit.

Mr T
06-29-2011, 07:56 AM
That is a heck of a deal!

We have some stuff we put together for kids......

We have TFO "Bug Launchers"for kids for $79.00

We have small Redington reels for $39.00

If you buy one of each I have some Scientific Angler Master GPX lines that I can donate that are normally $69.95

Total $118.00

__________________________________________________ ________________________

For bigger kids and adults we have a Redington package that is a 9' #5 line in 4 piece with a reel and line and rod & reel case for $139.00........super hot.

This is absolutely the best deal for a really nice casting complete outfit.