PDA

View Full Version : Thunder and Lightning and Stripers

Tony Buzolich
06-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Who in their right mind would go out fishing on a day like today? The forecast calls for WIND, RAIN,and the chance of Thunderstorms! :( Well, we got it all and then some,,,,,we got stripers.:)

A few days ago another old Yuba City Striper Geezer(Bob Bradbury) calls me up and says lets go. Tuesday was his only day as he had other commitments the rest of the week. No problem with Tuesday for me, a little wind and rain never hurt anyone.

We got on the water nice and early but the wind was already blowing fairly strong. Again I headed downstream when most of the other boats headed up. I knew there were a few bends and corners in the bank where we could get out of the full gusts. Unfortuneately the wind knew where we were and did everything it could to spin our boat around, push us back upstream, and just make casting miserable.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/001upload-1.jpg

Wind or no wind we soon found a few nice fish but not the big schools we were hoping for. The wind keeps coming up and Bob plants a 3/0 deciever in the back of his head. Ouch! I try to turn the boat so the wind isn't coming at him over his right shoulder but we're still just spinning around.

After a couple of hours of this we decide to go find another area to fish and spot Hatch working his way down toward us. He says they just came from up top without much luck and decided to head down. Well, that's good enough for me and we head up.

We get up near some tall trees and find a little calmness from the wind but now it's starting to sprinkle rain. At least we can cast and feel the line. Soon enough we find some cooperating fish and it feels like a whole new day,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,the sprinkles are turning to raindrops. But the wind has died down a little,,,,,and we're getting fish.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/003upload-3.jpg

Soon the rain is picking up and we hear thunder off in the distance coming our way. Wham! We get another good grab and BOOOM! at the same time we get thunder over our heads. And the fish are turning on and we don't want to leave. But waving a graphite fly rod around in a thunderstorm is turning it into a lightning rod and we decide to call it a day.

Heading back to the dock the rain is pouring and we're both soaked to the skin laughing about another great day on the water:) Hatch,,,,, you went in too soon.
TONY

Hatch
06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Nice work Tony. Who in their right mind would go fishing on a day like today ?
HATCH