PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Ridge area

EricO
06-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Just wondering if anybody has made it much past Fuller Lake yet?
Or even past Carr/Feeley???

I'm guessing there is probably still a ton of snow...itching to do
a day backpack trip up to Grouse Ridge.

Eric

Fly Guy Dave
06-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Here's a link that might help you...

Cheers!

--FlyGuy (Dave)

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5302037&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110517&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Tahoe%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts

EricO
06-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Gracias senor Dave. Can almost smell the pine trees.

EO

Fly Guy Dave
07-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I went looking for trout the last few days, but due to the Spring-like conditions and rain(!) I got a few, but not as many as I'd expect for the end of June. Lake Davis was SLOW, the MF Feather was high, but clear and the Little Truckee was the same. I got a few in the latter two, but the only strike I got in Davis was to my strike indicator! (Wish I had a hook in it!)

I eventually found myself in the Grouse Ridge area, so I figured a few pics were in order.

Here's a photo of Fall Creek Mountain, north face.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/dderuysscher/FallCreekMt.jpg

Still PLENTY of snow around and I was shooting this pic from 6,500 feet. Parts of some lakes were STILL iced over and since the water was so cold, not many bugs were hatching.

I also was amazed at the flow in the Yuba where Bowman road crosses it. usually it's a trickle among the rocks...not yesterday.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/dderuysscher/Yuba.jpg

As I left, plenty of folks were showing up for the 4th of July weekend, some getting stuck in snow drifts on their way in. I pulled a couple out so I could get the heck out of there myself. It looks like the area was going to be a mad-house, so if you like solitude as much as I do, I'd suggest you wait until the 5th (or later) when all of the hordes have gone home.

Cheers!

--Fly Guy Dave

EricO
07-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Dang. Still a lot of snow up there!

Went to the Pit river this w/e....could have wet waded.
Frickin HOT. Looking forward to float tubing in the high
country....still a few weeks out I'm guessing. Weird year.

EO

DFrink
07-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Dave,

Have you ever fished Crystal Lake or Kelly Lake across I-80? I think Kelly may be private, but not sure?

Dan

Tried to PM you, but it says you don't except PM's.

Here's a link that might help you...

Cheers!

--FlyGuy (Dave)

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5302037&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110517&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Tahoe%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts

loose_shoes
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm glad you posted that picture of the Yuba where Bowman road crosses it. I went through there this weekend. I stopped and walked across the bridge to admire the raging torrent. As you can see by the picture the river is HUGE and fast. You can also tell that the rock walls are super steep with no access to the water. Not that you'd need to or want to go down there.

At least, that's what I thought...

As I was walking back over the bridge to my car I saw a guy under the bridge with a spinning rod casting into the whitewater. He managed to scramble down a vertical section of the rocks and found a small downward-sloping ledge to stand on. His toes were only about 3 inches from the edge and certain death.

Oh yeah, he was wearing flip-flops!!!!!!!

I would have taken a picture and posted it here under the heading of "Death Wish Knucklehead of Month" but sadly, my camera wasn't on me at the time. I was so freaked out by seeing this moron down there and his ridiculously precarious situation that I just had to get in my car and go.

Did this guy really think he was going to catch something in there? I wonder if the thought "maybe that wasn't such a good idea..." would have passed through his brain just the moment before it was bashed into a rock and he drowned?

Nah... If he had that much sense he wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Fly Guy Dave
07-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Dave,

Have you ever fished Crystal Lake or Kelly Lake across I-80? I think Kelly may be private, but not sure?

Dan

Tried to PM you, but it says you don't except PM's.

Hey Dan-

I've been out of town (fishing, of course) and I'm still learning the intricacies of this board, so hopefully I now have the PM option enabled.

To answer your question, no, I haven't been to either Crystal or Kelly Lakes. I'm not big on the whole idea of "pay to play," either I'm too cheap (quite possible), or I think I have done enough research and exploration to know where solid fishing can be had that's FREE. :)

I'm not terribly surprised by the "Darwin Awards" candidate that was fishing below the Bowman Road bridge. I hate to see people do such things, a tragedy waiting to happen, but at the same time...DUDE! COME ON! :eek:

--Fly Guy Dave

DFrink
07-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Dave. For anyone intersested Crystal Lake is private (which I'm not into) and Kelly is public. I fished Kelly on Saturday afternoon for about 2 hours. Water was 70 degrees, didn't even get a bump the entire time. Tried stripping an I line and using a type 4 to get to colder water, nothing. Went over to Fuller. It was slow (I thought) although I did manage 2 bows and a brown. Nothing over 12". Talked with 4 others fly guys in tubes, 1 caught 0, another caught 2, and another caught 1. Fish were rising, but not a lot. Nice to get something out of the drive. Absolutely perfect weather.

Dan

Ed Wahl
07-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Here's the official word, as put out by official me.:p

I was up there today and the road is still blocked by snow about a mile from the campground. Looks like another 2 or 3 weeks. Man that's a lot of snow up there.

Fuller is fishing well for rubber trout.

Ed