PDA

View Full Version : Where to take Dad fishing away from July 4th crowds, Lakes Basin?

Barnett
06-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I will be headed out on July 4th weekend to take my Dad fishing. Looking for a spot to tent camp that won't be overrun with trailers and such. Good luck, I know!

I was thinking of heading up to the Lakes Basin area in Plumas to take my canoe out on some of the small lakes around there, or perhaps Gold Lake. Does anybody know about fishing the lakes in this region? Or have any other suggestions within about 3.5 hours drive from Davis?

jayclarkflyfishing
06-25-2011, 06:12 AM
The Lakes Basin is definitely a beautiful place to fish, but like everywhere else will have crowds over the 4th of July holiday. Lower Sardine is a fun place to catch decent brookies with the occasional rainbow with one of the most scenic views of any lake in the Sierra.Snag and Goose lake are small roadside lakes that have fish and should fish well as the ice has just come off.Packer is full of planted 'bows and brookies.Gold is the largest lake in the Lakes Basin and has the largest fish(Mackinaw), but be mindful of the wind here as it usually blows very hard in the afternoons.

There is still plenty of snow on the ground in the Lakes Basin and will limit the available campsites.Also, the creeks are running very high and cold at this time so be extra cautious when fishing them.

If you need further info feel free to contact me.

Jay

Barnett
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks Jay,

That is a great overview, just what I needed. Do Snag and Goose Lakes just have little brookies, or something more substantial? I was interested in fishing Independence Lake, now that it is just opening for public access, but their camping sites are not scheduled to open until mid-July. Otherwise, if the flows look good I'm planning to head to the North Fork Feather.

Cheers,

Lewis

flyguy1
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
My niece was up at our family cabin last weekend in the Graeagle area. She tried to go kayaking at Salmon lake on 6/26 and could not because the lake was still iced over. I'm assuming the other lakes like Packer, lower and upper Sardine may be in the same boat.

good luck

Scott

jayclarkflyfishing
06-28-2011, 08:20 PM
The Sardines are ice free and the last time I was at Packer(6-19) the ice was coming off.Deer,Young America and the Tamarack lakes were still iced over.

Jay

Barnett
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the help folks. The trip was great. It is amazing right now in the Sierras, weather in the low 80s with snow still all around. Got a 23" lake trout and a beat-up 18" rainbow (planter I suppose, do they not clip the adipose of the planted fish?).

Failed to get my father onto any fish, but I let him fight another lake trout I hooked. The fish was lost when he reeled the line too far up, getting the braided loop into the tip...the loop slipped off entirely and the whole damned leader went away with the fish, truly bogus. I guess I better practice my nail-knot technique.

Lewis

Woodman
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
That's a nice mack on a fly. Well done.