PDA

View Full Version : New Sage fly rod: The One....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-24-2011, 08:07 AM
http://www.angling-international.com/efttex-awards/best-new-fly-rod/sage-one/

Some time in August this summer?

Nice video clip bout the new Sage One fly rod series:

http://vimeo.com/26791493

amoeba
06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
My initial impression is:

I like it....the color, guides, handle shape, and lighter overall ......look forward to seeing these in Kiene's soon. Any prospectus on when (this yr, early next????)?

SHigSpeed
06-24-2011, 03:53 PM
In this economy?

I can't afford #2 ! http://www.kiene.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Dave

That's the funniest statement I've read all day!!!

_SHig

pvsprme
06-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm sure they are wicked nice, but for me, the best thing is now there'll be some deals on a
Z-Axis. I'll wait four or five years and get one on the used market like I got my G, GLX, Powell LTSH and others. Heck, my casting hasn't caught up to my rods.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
We have the single hand Z-axis at 25% off.

amoeba
06-26-2011, 11:23 AM
IMO, life's too short to wait 5 years to save a couple $100 bux/rod:

I'll buy whatever I want....when I want......; in fact, I've not yet bought a rod on sale or on closeout. But I would....if I liked it.

Quality fishing rods are smaller cost component, yet a more essential one, of the overall cache of items one might put into the sport; travel/trips, boats, rafts, guides.

These will probably sell out fast.....I did see a 9.5' 6 wt butt handle Z in the shop the other day......by far my all-time favorite in the Z-axis line....and actually highly sought after. This one will definitely sell fast.

Paul B.
06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
A little more info here.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/06/23/sage-wins-best-rod-at-efttex/

Ralph
06-27-2011, 06:52 AM
"The eye sees the cast it wants to make and it is translated to the hand and through the rod instantaneously."

They should have named it Chuck.

Did you know Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door?

Dan LeCount
06-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Oh no, Ralphs been infected!

pgw
06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Sage Rods for >$700...

I am reminded of the words of H. L. Mencken...

"No one in this world, so far as I know_and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me_has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

...now, $2,500 for a Sweetgrass Rod sounds reasonable!

Paul

oldtrout
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Custom cork handle?

wtf does that really mean?

I'm sure one doesn't provide Sage with handle specifications and they custom build it.
I'm calling BS right out of the box.

Tfisher
06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Abbot and Costello walk into a flyshop and….

Customer: “I want the One fly rod!”
Salesperson: “Which one? This one or that one?”
Customer: “No-no I want THE ONE!”
Salesperson: “Oh yeah, I think we just got the One, let me check the back.”
Customer: “You only have one?”
Salesperson: “Yeah that’s all sage sells now…”
Customer: “No, no… Did you only just get one?”
Salesperson: “Well I did get some Winstons, and Scotts…, but I thought you wanted the Sage?”
Customer: “Nevermind, can you just check for the One please?”
Salesperson: “Sure, be right back.”
Salesperson [From the back of the Store]: “Now did you want the one?”
Customer: “Yes!”
Salesperson: “Ok, I’ll bring it out.”
Salesperson [Plops down rod on counter]: “Here’s the one.”
Customer: “I didn’t want a one.”
Salesperson: “You asked for the one.”
Customer: “Yes, I do want the One, but I want it in a 5wt.”
Salesperson: “Oh sorry we don’t have one.”

Dean Y.
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
"The eye sees the cast it wants to make and it is translated to the hand and through the rod instantaneously."

They should have named it Chuck.

Did you know Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door?

Or, perhaps "Neo". But, first you have to "believe".

Ed Wahl
06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey Bill K., maybe you should weigh in on this one.

At what point does marketing totally alienate the stereotypical flyfishing consumer?

I thought the 50 dollar line nipper would do it but I was wrong.

So just how gullible do the assorted manufacturers think/know we are, as a group? Apparantly it's a pretty high bar.

And just for the record, I hate the stereotypical flyfishing consumer.

Need I say more than adjustable drags on trout reels?

I'm going over the edge. I'll see you people at the bottom. I'll be the guy catching whatever fish live in hell on a stick pole.

Cripes.

Ed

wineslob
06-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Nice to see what I'll never own, kinda like a Lambo................

Still using the 3-4 wt LL I bought as a kit from Bill.........................for $100.

Jed Peters
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Ed (and others):

There are some out there who have a certain amount of disposable income and like many of the "perks" associated with nice stuff.

I, for one, bought the abel (able?) nippers because they're just kinda cool. No, they don't really cut line any better, but they're still pretty cool.

Regarding rods--if this rod is the "One" for me (my casting) like the rest of the rods in my quiver are, then I'm in. If it doesn't work--then I won't purchase it.

Example: In a recent fly rod shootout, the TFO BVK was the best fit for me in a certain line weight. Coincidentally, in one lower line weight, the Sage Xi3 was the "one" for me. And so on, and so forth.

It's just how it is. Be happy with what you have. Oh yeah--and marketing works--I want to try this new sage on the river! Ha!

amoeba
06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey Bill K., maybe you should weigh in on this one.

At what point does marketing totally alienate the stereotypical flyfishing consumer?

I thought the 50 dollar line nipper would do it but I was wrong.

So just how gullible do the assorted manufacturers think/know we are, as a group? Apparantly it's a pretty high bar.

And just for the record, I hate the stereotypical flyfishing consumer.

Need I say more than adjustable drags on trout reels?

I'm going over the edge. I'll see you people at the bottom. I'll be the guy catching whatever fish live in hell on a stick pole.

Cripes.

Ed

If you mean the stereotypical flyfisher with ~$40 grand in boats, $30 grand in SUV to tow it, at least 10 rods no more than 4 years old, they are probably more concenred about dropping an equal amount in the stock market in the last two weeks than such triflings.

I would say $99 for Abel nippers might be a bit much. I don't think they would flinch at the current $49; probably would get that and a matching money clip for <$300.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
http://powfly.org/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/a-new-fly-rod

Bob Laskodi
07-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Thank you Ed for a voice of reason in the insane world known as fly fishing marketing hype (AKA whoring to the public)!!!! This one pretty much says it all!!!!

What a load of BS!!!!!

JasonB
07-14-2011, 08:16 AM

So does this mean that I will stop catching trees, bushes and rocks and start catching BIG fish instead? What a deal if that's the case, I mean I've spent some $$$ on all those flies I've left hanging in the trees... it might just break even for me cost wise (given enough time), plus I'll look COOL!!!

I'll take a 9' 5wt... err, better make that a 6wt, I just know I'm gonna be catching HUGE trout with this baby! Oh yeah, the checks in the mail, I swear.
JB

jerry from sac
07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I'll bet Ted Turner and Jane Fonda have two.

bigfly
07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
The cast goes where you point it jason. No-matter what brand....
Throwing more money at the problem will not help (except to buy flies of course).
But it does FEEL better right? And the smell of fresh graphite at dawn, smells like v-i-c-t-o-r-y.

I recommend a 7wt. to defend against dog walkers, rafters, and hole crowders etc.
A lighter rod may break.
Not to mention handling a Big-T MEGA BROWN.
Catching the one, on the one.
Think about it.

Can't wait to make a "MATRIX like" cast, with 1.
Is the next model going to be 1-revolutions?
Maybe 1: Part II.
Or 1-B?
Never mind, I'm going out to cast my antiquated old Z.
Sure was a sweet rod, in it's day.
Just like the XP, the SP, the LL, etc.......
Hold on....those all still pull work duty in my quiver.
A good rod just keeps on giving....

Jim

aaron
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
A few have trickled into the shop, feel free to come play with them.

aaron
08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
The 9' #5 didn't last long....

Jed Peters
08-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Kaneko borrowed Jamie's and said it was the real deal for his casting stroke. Super sweet...best trout rod he's ever casted.

I think the quote was.... "boy, this is a game changer...."