PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Lake

woodguru
06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
My wife's family has gone to Rock Creek Lake since she was a kid. Fat fat trout and great to eat. They stock a ton of brood stock fish over 7 pounds that readily take dry flies and streamer type things. A lot of holdover and some natural fish are caught. These fish can put on almost two pounds their first year.

They have a little point they have always liked to fish where they can limit on eaters and toss some several pounders back. We get there and there is a shall we say rotund red faced guy there using night crawlers. Jeanne's dad says we can wait until he's gone he'll be limited out in a few minutes.

Well, after watching him use pliers to wrench his swallowed hook out, and throw a bleeding dead fish back half a dozen times I had had enough. Jeanne's dad is a pacifist and he kept telling me to leave it be, I finally said, "nope this stops now". Jeanne told her dad to leave me be I was going to do what I needed to do.

I walk up to him and there had to be at least fifteen dead or dying fish in the water around him, he had two or three several pound fish on a stringer. I said you are all done, leave. He got blustery and said no I'm not, I still need two more fish. I told him to collect two that were floating within reach and get the heck out, he was all through.

He got really belligerent and said I couldn't make him leave, and I told him if he didn't pack it up he was going swimming and that I'd hold him there until my wife could call a game warden over to check out his action. He was angry to put it mildly, but he left.

We spent ten minutes using our poles to gather what fish we could and took them as part of our limits, we had a cabin right there so we were going to be there for a few days.

I try to tell people that want bigger fish or to catch a lot to use flies, if you can't use a fly rod use a bubble and tow a dry or nymph, we show people how to do that all the time when they see us with fly action.