PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid----Epic>>>>>>Spring Fishing

1flyfisher
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM
It has been an OUTSTANDING WINTER of great numbers of big fish over 10+ lbs with fish into 15+ pounds and more. Best we have seen in many years.
More of the same fishing and Spring has Finally Sprung!... Some decent warmer weather without the raging winds we have been experiencing the last few weeks has finally arrived and the lake has been on FIRE. It has been a cold wet windy late winter/spring with huge runoff and that will continue but it looks like warmer temps are going to be the norm from here on out.

I just got home from fishing the lake sat/sun, sun up to sun down. Wide open bite sat evening for 2.5-3 hours. I headed out to catch a BBQ Shindig and some diving but got dragged out in the boat and am happy I motivated and my bros dragged me out there for some fishing too. Wanted to do a few dives but that will have to wait till the fishing slows down or the season ends. Had a nice Tri-tip BBQ with all the fixins and deep fried turkey Sat nite after a wide open bite sat am and evening, Sun was more of the same. To get the day rollin Sun am I kicked out some Taylor Ham/Pork Roll, Egg and cheese on a poppy seed kaiser hard roll and black coffee, Breakfast of Champions. Nothing better than a keg of heineken and deep fried turkey after an epic day of fishing and some taylor Ham bf sammy to start the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPexCkuE8Do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp2vfWZFsa0

Also Nice to be able to kick back sucking down beers @ the fire pit @ 11-12 @ nite and not freeze.

Weather conditions were perfect with light to moderate winds on and off throughout the day. The weather has finally turned for the better and has kicked the lake into spring conditions. The bugs have finally started to get active and we have found more and more scattered dragon fly activity around the lake in various spots and midges with a few damsels swimming. The weed beds have been slow to start but are also starting to sprout nicely. Plenty of bait scattered all over the pinnacles, rock piles and weed/moss beds. Bait has been at various depths 3-30 as they get into their spawn. This spring/summer will be a great year to kick up the bait population a few notches. Prey fish tui/cui-ui/perch will have a great spawn with all the new water pouring into the lake.
Overall it is what you could expect for early late april earlymay but here we are getting into june. The sierra stillwaters are a month+ or more behind so take advantage of Pyramid. Pyramid will fish good to epic from here on out till the closer.
As far as our fishing we landed fish from 19" to 9 pounds with MANY fish in the 6/7 pound class. Usually when we find large schools we get into 3/4/5 pound fish in big numbers. It was a real treat to score some larger fish on the 4wt. No hogs but this time of year I am happy with epic numbers of fish for the 4wt/floater/minnow. You can't beat fish 6-9lbs on a 4wt. We had five rods hooked up 2 adults and 3 kids on the Bobber/Dragon at times. For the most part We are doing the same ole same ole as where and how we are fishing. I'd say about 25% of our fish were caught in water within casting distance of shore and your boat/tube/pontoon/kayak will get you into the rest of the strike zone. Plenty of fish cruising the shallows for folks wanting to wade or fish from a ladder, you just have to learn the lake and figure out where to go. 3-30 feet depths of water as has been for the last few months or so has held fish on and off throughout the day. The bulk of our fish were caught in water 15/20 with SA uniform sink lines type 4 on 6wt rods and weighted minnows and floater/bobber dragon rig for the kids. Fish the rock piles and pinnacles as they have been magnets for bait and cutts. Flats have been good too but you have to time it just right. Fish are up and down the ledges throughout the day moving in and out deep to shallow. AM and late evening has been best but we have found great fishing mid day too on and off. We have been finding tons of fish at various spots along the west shore down to the southern end. The fish are stacking up, schooling up and staging in big numbers on various spots along the southern west side down the southern end over to dago bay. All that fresh new water flowing into the lake has them podding up for a swim up the river. They will continue to be moving all over the area as they have been for the last many weeks. Look for structure holding fish. Get out on the rock piles and fish the shallow water weed beds AM and pm. Keep moving until you find fish. The fish are moving and you need to move with them. IF you know the lake and spring cutts and where to look you can do good to epic.
Enjoy!
It will go off till the closer.

Morgan
06-13-2011, 10:09 PM
thanks for the encouragement. we will be moving and driving til we get into fish.

1flyfisher
06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Another buddy called me last night. Yesterday He hit 5 buckets and fished between them working in an out between 10 foot of water to 30 feet deep, motoring along the shoreline with his electric. Basically same thing we do. 33 fish to the boat, 3-5 pound average with a 7lber and one large fish broken off. Throwing basic black buggers with an 8wt/shootinghead. I asked him IF he caught any of those fish within casting distance of shore and he said at least half a dozen were well within wading fly casting distance of shore.

>>>>>addendum>>>>>>
This is how myself and other folks I know that know how to fish the lake have been doing.
If other folks have been sucking out there(and apparently there have been) I do not know the extent of their suckage or what they are doing wrong(but I have a pretty good idea) as I have not been collecting surveys from other anglers @ pyramid lake. All I know of is several wankers who have been crying they can't catch fish and thereby think no one else should be.

...p.s.....I often get numerous calls from buddies. If I hear any more I will relay that information but I will not be fishing the lake till the 26th.

Good Luck
It has been an OUTSTANDING SEASON.:)
If you go do what we have been doing. If you don't know the buckets and structure/spots,,,,motor along with your electric 10-30 deep pounding the shoreline. Black woolly bugger is all you need. Don't get bat shit crazy over color.

amoeba
06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Since absolutely no one else besides 1flyfisher has anything to say about Pyramid recently (his latest a secondhand report) - let me just say I look forward to Gangster's first-hand (he is driving/on foot); not only his fishing success, but the current level of interest observed (#boats/anglers) this weekend - whether teeming (as it is when the bite is hot) - or deserted (as it is when it is not).

And some water temperatures - if any are taken - in the shallows. And whether the road to the west side has re-opened (don't recall that 1flyfisher told us yet).

Saturday looks like it may have some clouds, and breeze late. A reasonable possibility.

1flyfisher
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Holy Shit....No wonder you can't catch any fish. You are an idiot.
Are you sure you are fishing IN the lake? ..and not casting in the wrong direction into the sage brush?

You don't know anything about the lake do you?
That's TWICE you asked whether "the west side has reopened"? I was going to let it slide but after you said it again well it is just too laughable to pass up. Here's your first quote, """""and no driving over to the west side (unless something's changed),"""""" http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23681
East is west, north is south, up is down, left is right.....
You don't even know the east side from the west side. It's the east side of the lake that is closed, NOT the west side!!!! The pyramid is on the east side. LOL And yes the road is closed, not that that matters as the fish are on the west side and the southern portion of the lake. Here's a clue, another fishing tip for you....You don't need to be wasting your time or gas driving to the east side in the spring(even IF it was open). The fish are on the west side down and southern end. They will be on the east side Hell's Kitchen, Anderson Bay etc in the winter.

If you knew the lake....
You would also not be asking more stupid questions like whether or not there are lots of boats out there? You would know that even if the fishing is good the number of people fishing the lake takes a huge nose dive every May/June of every year. People just stop fishing it and go fish the bazillion other pieces of water that are opening up. Pyramid is a winter destination for the most part as it doesn't ice over. The largest number of anglers is in the winter dec, jan,feb, march, april. There are multiple tournaments Like the Crosby and the Model Dairy etc that brings out the numbers and anglers. And the fishing can suck much worse in the dead of winter(especially if you can not get to the north east side) than it does in the late spring. But still even though there may be slow fishing in dec/jan/early feb there still are more anglers than late season before it closes. Comprende? Is that registering or do I need to explain anything further and why trying to gauge the fishing by the number of boats is useless???

The best months for fishing the lake are arguably march/april/may....usually june is slow but not this year as we have had an extremely cold spring which has been very late and we have had snow a few weeks ago so that is why it is still excellent fishing for us. That is why I am still fishing it otherwise normally I would be at various other lakes this time of year particularly Davis where I spend an inordinate amount of time. The CA Sierra's are a month + behind. That is why pyramid is good right now and a lake like davis is slow. And why a lake like eagle will be good when we have a late spring. Great fishing for us right now on pyramid so I am sharing what I am doing technique wise and if anyone else does what I am doing they might do well also. I can't give out GPS coordinates, buckets and spots. I can't tell a bazillion people on the internet to go to spot X as there would be a flash mob and my friends would disown me. And spot X might be good in the am and shit the rest of the day and the next day anyway. Spots change constantly. I fish with others and we have figured things out over many years and I can not screw them by helping idiots like you too much but I am being very generous with info and techniques that I use and general vicinity. AND It's FREE.

The water temps....now here's another one of your beauties, claiming the water is too WARM. It's was snowing at the lake a few weeks ago. This is the coldest spring with the lowest spring water temps in like forever. 60 degree water temps for Lahontan Cutthroat is perfectly fine, The water temps are perfect, they will be cruising the shoreline for weeks to come as that is where the food is...they will be targeting feeding on dragon flies, bugs that fall on the lake, damsels and spawning tui chub, perch that spawn close to shore in the weed beds. Do you comprehend any of this? IT is finally spring here going slowly into summer and the fish have to eat.

LOL, ..........Nah, It can't possibly be YOUR FAULT you aren't catching fish......and that others are? Fishing must be terrible for everyone when a wiz like you isn't catching.....

Here's some more folks that have been banging some fish and a few double digits.
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23648
Yeah that really sounds like it sucks catching 11 and 12 pounders....:\\

And whether the road to the west side has re-opened (don't recall that 1flyfisher told us yet).

Morgan
06-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Cant wait to get out in the am :)

1flyfisher
06-15-2011, 11:18 PM
If you have a boat use it.
It will exponentially increase the amount of water you can cover.
If you don't have a boat.
The next best thing is a kayak then a tube or pontoon, if you have nothing no tube then wade.
Leave the ladder at home.
I recommend you wade the lake and cover as much water as you possibly can instead of standing on a ladder in the same spot all day.
You do not need a ladder. The water is not icy cold so you don't need to get out of the water.
If you know how to cast well standing on a ladder isn't going to give you much extra distance and it is better to cover water.
Get on the water as early as you can.
Fish as late as you can.
Best fishing this time of year on pyramid will be early and late. But it can be hot any moment of the day also. You just never know. If your line isn't in the water you won't know.
Start anywhere you want.
Fish hard.
Walk the shoreline and wade out.
Like Jay Fair says,,,,If you are not catching in 15 minutes move up or down the shoreline.
Tube or pontoon to cover as much water as you can.
Don't go crazy over bugs or colors.
A black wooly bugger will work.
IF you feel like doing other stuff I would not use small bugs and an indicator unless you have already found fish.
That is too ineffective and slow at covering water.
You want to be stripping streamers, ie, minnows, dragons, wooly buggers, or even foam beetles if you will use a shooting head which is a good line to use from shore.
With the sinking line I like to use unweighted bugs but I have friends that use lightly weighted bugs and I see no difference in results.
Floating line I like heavily weighted bugs that I strip in sizes no smaller than size #10. Doesn't matter tie up anything. But minnows and dragons can be deadly.
If you get into fish a floater line and weighted bugs stripped will work great. It will also work great in water up to 10 feet. I use a 12 foot leader for this. It will also cover shallow water effectively and quickly. They love a minnow or dragon rising to the surface.
These fish have sharp teeth I fish heavy tippet of 2X 10 pounds test minimum. Size 10 bug, 10 lb test.
Shooting head 8wt a much shorter leader of 7 foot is plenty.
You can hook a 10+ pounder :fish: any day out there....you just never know when you will get lucky,,,if your line is in the water you might catch a 10+ pounder, if your line isn't in the water you surely will not catch a 10+ pounder.
Fishing can be good or bad despite the weather/wind. I have had plenty of lousy days when it is overcast and windy and I have had great days when there wasn't a drop of wind and it was sweltering.
You just never know. Nothing is written in stone.

Enjoy the day.
ANY DAY on Pyramid Lake is a great day.
It's a beautiful special place with tons of history and culture from the native inhabitants that settled the area the Paiutes and the explorations of John Fremont.
And the scenery is beautiful.

That's some of the stuff I do and how I approach fishing the lake...That's about the best advice I can give you. If you do the above it will increase your chances for success.

Enjoy.

amoeba
06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Your rude comments and swearing shall stand without even a hint of request from the moderator to delete them. You embarrass yourself only. It may serve you better to read the forum rules, learn some manners, and then practice them.

But thanks for correcting me on direction - yes, I meant the road to the east side - and thanks for the answer (it is still closed).

And - you found a post from what now? June 4? And, according to that, the fishing shut down flat as 12:30 pm? 8 fish? Given that most people only report when they catch anything, and exaggerate the number by at least 200% (and often more); I don't take your reply as a ringing endorsement of wide open conditions. You keep saying it's great fishing, yet - you haven't been out yourself and you won't be out, again, until what did you say? June 26?

And while we're on the subject of reading posts - Gangster is on foot/driving; so the recc to bring a boat doesn't apply there.

I look forward to Gangster's report - and yours - later this month.

1flyfisher
06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Idiot you began TROLLING my June 6th report.
And now here you are trolling this one.
IF you have ever been to Pyramid you should know that fishing @ pyramid goes in spurts.
It is on and off throughout the day.
EVEN when it is HOT It might be off for a few days and then erupt again.
The fish are in spawn mode and are cruising and moving. That is why I tried to explain to an idiot like yourself that you have to keep moving and hunting them down.
It can be dead in one area and wide open on fire in another.
It might be dead all day and then go wide open late in the day till the sun goes down, if something changes like wind direction.
In the past I have been out in the boat at so nets and have looked down into the water and there were schools of hundreds of fish. 100+ guys on ladders not catching ANYTHING ALL DAY LONG. Wind changed direction and came up a bit and it went off from late afternoon till dark, with everyone hooked up and catching.
You might get a hot morning bite at crack of dawn that lasts an hour or two and multiple big fish 10+ pounders are brought to net.
I do not know this chris fellow but I do know he is not exaggerating as you imply as the fishing has been hot and big fish are still being caught. You're crying about 8 fish and 11&12 pounders.
That;s not good enough fishing for you>?
You are an idiot.
Now go scurry under your Troll bridge.

And - you found a post from what now? June 4? And, according to that, the fishing shut down flat as 12:30 pm? 8 fish? Given that most people only report when they catch anything, and exaggerate the number by at least 200% (and often more);

Morgan
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Enough w/ the bs! Lets keep this friendly. We are trying to help eachother......right?

I started at blockhouse this morn just after 5am. First two casts i got 2 tui chubs. Fished a bit longer and moved on. I then went down to cattlegaurd....nothing. I drove back up north and stopped at a couple random spots and made some casts....nothing. I drove by nets and nobody was in the water.....NO cars....nobody. It was a really windy and partly cloudy day today......big waves, not many fisherman. I then drove up to pelican...caught a rat and that was it. Talkd to one other guy and he caught only one as well. SO I then moved up to shotdog....fished for a bit more and nothing. So i moved to south shotdog and still nothing. I then figured since the tui chub were spawning down at blockhouse there had to be big trout around. I went back down to block house and caught well over 50 tui chub...some nice ones too. But not one trout amongst all the chub. There was other guy fishing under an indicator and he caught just about as many chubs as I.

All in all it was a slow day for trout....but a blast catching the chubs. I had 4 casts in a row that netted 4 fish...that was my best streak. I also had 2 double catches....2 chubs in one cast.....twice in a row :)

I was fishing a jig and beetle as well as a bugger and midge killing the chubs...no trout but it was fun :) I also caught a few on a spoon...same thing i got my cutt on. Yes i spin too :)

TahoeChris
06-17-2011, 08:13 PM
You tell them Morgan! Yeah Pyramid is just a crazy maker if its not good by noon you should leave and just go chase carp.

Greg F
06-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Great thread! Very entertaining, thank you for the information. Pyramid can be misery or excitement.

Morgan
06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
pyramid is also the only place that makes me set hooks in my sleep.....so far :)

amoeba
06-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Thx for the report Gangster:

I look forward to hearing from 1flyfisher after his June 26 trip.

amoeba
06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Whether the fishing goes WO or not, I look forward to 1flyfisher's report from this upcoming weekend....I will be going elsewhere....

amoeba
06-26-2011, 11:09 AM
>>>>>addendum>>>>>>
This is how myself and other folks I know that know how to fish the lake have been doing.
If other folks have been sucking out there(and apparently there have been) I do not know the extent of their suckage or what they are doing wrong(but I have a pretty good idea) ..... All I know of is several wankers who have been crying they can't catch fish and thereby think no one else should be.

...p.s.....I often get numerous calls from buddies. If I hear any more I will relay that information but I will not be fishing the lake till the 26th.

Just a reminder: To summarize (excerpt from above) - I said this was late to be out there - you declare other "wankers", who suck at fishing and you know is being done wrong - and you will be out there on 6/26/11........

So, 1flyfisher.....time to walk the walk and post your report......

Morgan
06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
how was it 1flyfisher? hard to beat a boat.

Im looking forward to camping and fishing for perch for the first time this summer at pyramid. But really looking forward to next opening day at pyrmaids next season :)

Gotta love a double day....powder on a snowboard and rippn lips at pyramid. My dream day :)

amoeba
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
how was it 1flyfisher? hard to beat a boat.

Im looking forward to camping and fishing for perch for the first time this summer at pyramid. But really looking forward to next opening day at pyrmaids next season :)

Gotta love a double day....powder on a snowboard and rippn lips at pyramid. My dream day :)

I have little doubt 1flyfisher didn't go at all......or perhaps got skunked, and is now working on getting the stink off. That's not sayin much either way.....6/26.....is very late. I'd still be interested in hearing if there's any end-of-season action up there in a year like this; yeah or neah - all information is appreciated.

Bull_Dog
07-18-2011, 05:10 AM
I have little doubt 1flyfisher didn't go at all......or perhaps got skunked, and is now working on getting the stink off. That's not sayin much either way.....6/26.....is very late. I'd still be interested in hearing if there's any end-of-season action up there in a year like this; yeah or neah - all information is appreciated.He has been fishing in

Blah blah blah. Fish fish fish. He has been fishing in a muddy bathtub if fishing at all. I comb that lake top to bottom and left to right.

I am out there 4 days a week. Its my j.O.B. You want the get the dog and wife to come along report. ask me!!! We do not suger coat it.

Rob Anderson
ruckeeriveroufitters.sbcglobal.net

Morgan
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Bulldog have you been out there perch fishing at all lately?