PDA

View Full Version : Not enough fly construction choices

sentinel
06-13-2011, 12:03 AM
:confused:

Why are there no choices in the hooks on flies at tackle shops?

You get choices in the fly and hook size....but no choices
in straight eyelets, just down turned eyelets. And no choices
in straight hook points and barbs, just up turned points & barbs.

Am I missing something in these generic designs?

The down turned eyelet makes the fly look like it is trying to
scuba dive with water wings when the tapered tippet slightly sinks
even with a floating tapered leader......

And the up turned barb tip reduces the ability to get a deep
mouth hooking on a strike in my opinion.

Since I am musing here.... Why don't fly's have a softer mid section
that can absorb a "trace amount" of liquid which can provide taste
& scent? For brief dipping of the fly in left-over Sardine packing
oil or roe oil for example.

Certainly a softer mid section should cause the Trout
not to spit it out so quickly since it has a natural yield like
a real insect.... I would not bite down on something unyielding
and I don't think you would either. :eek:

Any good answers for these questions?

Jaybinder
06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

Really??

huntindog
06-13-2011, 07:39 AM
:confused:

Any good answers for these questions?

some people were just really meant to fish the BASS pro series...or fish with night crawlers.

Bob Laskodi
06-13-2011, 07:44 AM
"Why don't fly's have a softer mid section
oil or roe oil for example."
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Jaybinder
06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
My answer to your second question is this. To me it is not in the style or tradition of fly fishing to use live bait or scented flies. To me this goes against my intent to fool a fish into taking my fly by using well made flies and good technique. I say say intent because my flies look terrible and I have no technique.
There are many schools of thought. Dry fly only, swing only, no beads ever, no indicators and so on. So the rules change, but I dont think adding scent will ever come into fashion. Besides, bears will smell your fly boxes from miles away.

I expect you will get a little light hearted ribbing over this post but it's all in good fun.

Just my .02
Jason

sentinel
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks Jason,

By nature and past professions, I analyze everything to understand the changes I see in fly fishing since 1946.

I am a puritan by nature when it comes to fly fishing. I remember stretching and waxing woven fly lines and 2-3 weight bamboo's too. But times have changed as has production, regulations, restrictions, and what was natural pristine streams. It all appears commercial now with "high tech" solutions as a "must have" for most.

My questions have a purpose......but I can take the heat from younsters, they do not remember the way it was.

BobVP
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
The eye of the hook when tying (or buying) flies does have significance, in my opinion, and it also seems to me that many commercial tyers simply get used to using a standard and go with that. This doesn't mean that we can't find or tie what we want and experiment with straight, turned up or turned down eyed hooks and see what action(s) they may produce...and whether or not those actions bring little fishes to hand, or at least to the hook.

Now, the "sardine juice" issue....I do have a little suspicion that you are trolling here....maybe, maybe not.....I do not have the pedigree you have Sentinal, having cast my first fly around 1963, but my perspective is at least not as a youngin'..... Scenting flies is probably a very old practice and is probably very effective (certainly not something I want to do..I remember something about WD40 a few years back??) and as you say things are not the same with the rivers or the fish. Why not be a little more "sporting" and leave the scenting off the flies. Times are tough for fish, give 'em a break!

Of course that is unless you think using a scent or fish oil will just get them closer so they can be whacked over the head easier....If that's the case, then I say go for it! Fact is I hear dynamite works well too....

Jet
06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Gink has Cod oil in it... Problem solved

Jet

Dan LeCount
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I like to tie a lot of my nymphs, especially the smaller ones on straight eyes for the wider gaps. I love a few czech designs and 2488heavys from Tiemco but theyre sometimes a pain to get so a lot of the time I end up substituting with 2457s (down eyes)

sentinel
06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
It appears that these fly hook characterizations revolve around anti-snag from my analysis.

Presentation, catching, and holding on to Trout, appears secondary to the underwater snagging of flies on rocks, etc.

Regardless of scenting issues..... I still like the idea of soft body construction for the mid section. Of course hatchery trout don't care.... if anything is yellow or red and reasonably round it reminds them of mother.....and they go for it.