PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon !!!

Jay Murakoshi
06-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Today's fishing report for Cerralvo Island. I have to download some photo's and then will post. You'll be amazed and what Tony Serpa caught today as a matter of fact, so far this week.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Tony Serpa is from the Sacramento area or sorta south of Sacramento. A few years ago, he was scheduled too come with the Kiene's group, I'm sure he was bummed out. But he made it this year and I would have to say it's paying off
The first day on the water, we fished the Punta Arena area (lighthouse) and I think it was his first cast to big roosters and he ended up with a rooster around 50 to 55lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0476_2.jpg

Then after exploring the la ventana area and searching out the sargasso, we only had a bunch of small dorado to 15lbs. Then two days later we went out to the "88" and drove to a lot of buoys. Around the 5th buoy, we found a big school of dorado and on my first cast, I hooked into a big dorado but had to untangle a big cluster f** I had in my line. The dorado, not being hooked up dropped my fly and grabbed tony's fly which was dangling next to the boat. At first I thought Efren said he ate both flies, actually the dorado did. He ate mine, spit it and then ate tony's offering. This dorado must of been looking for a big breakfast. The dorado was around 30lbs. Not bad for the second big fish

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0501_2.jpg

Then we had a couple of cruisers from the east cape come barreling ass into the buoy. I don't quite understand these captains but I guess when you're paying $600.00 a day, your clients better get some fish. We moved on to the next buoy and on the way out, Efren spotted a marlin on the surface and we slowly crept up to the fish. A couple baits and the fish went on an eating spree. He came within a few yards of the boat and I had my marlin rig ready in hand, when he got near the boat, like only a few yards away from the motor, I chucked this big pink fly to him and he darted to the fly but refused to eat it. I would estimate the fish was around 100lbs. I was rigged up with my TFO baby blue LD rod. Hopefully I'll get more shots at a few marlin.

Today we went back out to the "88" where the dorado and HUGE yellow fin tuna are. After searching 7 buoys we found a school of "chicken"dorado. I hooked up 4 in a few minutes. One actually jumped right into the boat. After the quick bite, they disappeared. We probably searched 8 more buoys and nothing on the way back in, we spent some time around the buoy where we had caught the big dorado the day before. After a few baits a HUGE dorado made a big splash and then took off. We stayed a little longer hoping the fish would return but then the whole surface of the water became white water, just like a washing machine. They were skippies but mixed in were yellow fin tuna. I made a few cast but then I heard Tony's reel singing and Efren "whispered" ATUN (yellow fin grande) He said maybe 45 to 50lbs. I grabbed my Canon G12 and started shooting video footage.
I had to break it in sections or I would of ran out of card space. This fish was WAY into the backing, not once but at least 10 times or more. Finally after 1:10 minutes the fish was in the boat. So now Tony is really gleeming.
A big rooster, a big dorado and now a HUGE yellow fin that weighed 50lbs of a certified boga. Oh yeah, right before landing the fish, the rod broke right at the first section (closest to the butt). The same spot all XI2's have been breaking. I even caught that on video. Here's the photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0528.jpg

Here a better photo of the fish with Efren holding it up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0534_2.jpg

So what else can Tony do???? We are going back out to the "88" in search of a 50lb dorado, if not that we are also doing the light house in search of a 30lb Toro. That would be the topper of the trip

Hope you enjoyed the Tony Serpa report.

DAMN, I really love this job !!!!!!

Jay

FISHEYE
06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Hola Jay, if he gets the grande toro it will be a super slam and a trip he will never forget. That YFT is an amazing prize! Buy Tony a margarita or pina colada for me and I will send you the pesos. Thanks for the great report. I am already looking forward to next year. I wish I could come later but it conflicts with king salmon fishing on my "home" river. I hooked 15 kings last weekend and landed 11. Kept the biggest one- 29 pounds. I'd love to have your job. Phil

Darian
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
WOW!!!! What a bunch of really great fish!!!! I sure do wish I was down there with you guys.... Can't wait for October. :nod:

Steve R
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Phil - I bought him several beers. Darian - We missed you too and will see you in Octobre.
Steve