PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Fisherman Magazine

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The summer 2011 issue of Sierra Fisherman magazine is in print and can also be viewed/read on-line at www.sierrafisherman.com.

We are soliciting comments, suggestions and/or advice on how to improve and make it more interesting. Please PM me at cyberfly@cyberfly.com.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Ralph
06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Frank- The online publication looks very amateurish and damages the perception of quality of the real version which is quite good.
my .02

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Frank- The online publication looks very amateurish and damages the perception of quality of the real version which is quite good.
my .02

Ralph---Yes, I'm aware and so is the publisher. For sure the printed issue looks and reads a lot better. Right now he is funding the project out-of-pocket and attempting to break-even each issue...The ideal is he gets gets paid subscriptions to get "into the black".

I know you're being polite here and it is appreciated; poor editing is and continues to be an issue and the unpaid editors are aware of such (even though I'm theortetically an editor). We're attempting to help the publisher launch this magazine and get it up to reasonable editorial speed.

I have reassured Richard that this mag is no challenge to CFF (I'm sure he is aware it isn't) relative to editing & contributors (such as yourself, Larry and Seth and others)...that is obvious. I was soliciting comments about content and possibly some suggestions for possible interesting features.

I read your comments about USFS permits. I was going to add my comments but suddenly got very busy. As far as calling the Truckee Ranger District office for names of permitted guides; I'd be curious if they even had that info readily available. I was going to respond that a permitted guide has to visibly display a USFS permit badge to legally operate on USFS lands. If they do not have the badge they cannot operate on Tahoe National Forest lands.

Ralph
06-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Who cares if the editing isn't perfect - it's free! Input: Fly Girls is cheesy - I think we're beyond token woman anglers in fly fishing. If you're going to be sexist, at least put them in bathing suits. Lisa wonders why there isn't a Fly Boys. The comics are sophomoric and undermine the articles that someone put time and effort into making readable and full of good content.
There have been some really good articles in the magazine and some of the photo spreads are excellent. I like the magazine and actively look for and read each issue.

Morgan
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Is there a place we can subscribe to this new mag? I would love to just have the sent to me in the mail for some good bathroom reading material :)

Love to help out the locals...especially when they fish :)

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Gangster---you can subscribe on-line. Or get a hardcopy and the publisher's phone number is on the editorial page.

Ralph---Your comments are appreciated and considered; I'll forward to the publisher; ultimately he decides. As for Lisa's suggested Fly Guys ...hmmmm...yeah, sexism goes both ways and turn-around is fair play. Doesn't the Reader's Wall count, it seems we're getting submissions mostly from guys. More skin?

For those who have communicated off the board...thanks. I'll get back to those who I haven't responded to soon. If nothing else, SFM is becoming a known publication regionally...whether appreciated or not. Everyone has been very civil & diplomatic; that is appreciated.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Morgan
06-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks frank....should i be able to find this at my local shop here in south lake?

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Gangster---Yes, go to Victor's shop; Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters. If he doesn't have them maybe he can call the publisher for some issues.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS---or better yet subscribe so the publisher can keep the mag going :)