PDA

View Full Version : New Yamaha 115 Four-stroke

Tracy Chimenti
06-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I took out the new motor this evening and am so glad I bought it. I loved my old Johnson 2-stroke, but this motor is so incredibly quiet, smooth, easy to start, even running, with a damn good hole shot, and better top-end than the old 11O. I must admit I was skeptical as I have never been a Yamaha guy, but I'm a changed man now. Ill add that I'm using a stock aluminum prop, not the old OMC Raker (stainless) Blows me away. Great motor. We'll have a great marriage. The motor is on a Gregor 19.5 foot riverboat, about the half the weight of similarly proportioned sleds, at 750-pounds dry hull. I have about another 300-pounds of gear on board, plus this massive motor-- another 40 or so pounds heavier than the great white beast.

The old (86) white motor sits quiet and harkens for a lonely old 18-foot Ski barge, to be jetted, so they can spend their golden years chasing horizons on the valley rivers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Good move Tracy....

I am a Yamaha fan as well having a 40hp and 90/65 jet now.

I like Hondas too.

Maybe you can get a photo of your rig up here some day?

Kneedeep
06-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Congratulations on your new motor Tracy.
(E-Tec fan myself):D

soocer/flyfish
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I have a 18 foot North River Mariner and am thinking of eventually converting from a prop to a jet. Any suggestions on motor size?

Kneedeep
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Check the plaque on your boat. Probably riveted on the stern.
It should have a US Coast Guard rating for HP/passenger limit.:thumbsup:

Tracy Chimenti
06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I bought the motor from the good folks at Sutter Marine. I was going to put a 9.9 Yamaha with remote electric start next to the 115, but due to the earthquake in Japan, production of the smaller motors (under 40HP) had ceased. Hopefully the plant with start production soon. In stead, for the next year, I'm going to try a 12-volt, 55 LB thrust on the rear, attatched to a Min-Kota electric tilt bracket. I'lll try to send in a picture of the rig.

Tony Buzolich
06-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Way to go Tracy. I just put a new 115hp Mercury on mine last week and what a difference:).

As for your trolling motor on the rear, I've had mine like that since day one. I used a front mount bracket and simply turned it around so I could use the tiller handle right next to where I stand when I'm fishing alone. Same 55lb thrust Riptide is fine on my 19'.

It's always a lot of fun arguing about front vs.rear mounting with guys that have front mounts but I like the way mine works and that's all that matters.

Hope to see you out there,
TONY

Tracy Chimenti
06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey Tony! I think it's the way to go for now. not sure how much weight i want riding on that transom. I think with the reistat controller I will simply shut off the big motor, hit the tilt-switch and pendulm the unit into the water, then hit the switch and I control the speed frm the console. I can steer with the main if I were trolling. Oh, and i'm keeping the one ont he front! Never, never, never give up ground! Keep your lines tight, Tony.