PDA

View Full Version : Want to take a 2 1/2 year old fishing

dryflychico
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I know I've seen a similar post in the past but can't find it.

I was hoping some of you might be able to point me to some still water areas to fish with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. She has never fished before and she just received her first "princess" fishing pole (fly rod in a couple of years when the coordination gets better).

I'm really just looking for places where she can have a ton of action, 2.5 year olds attention span is probably shorter than my labs. A place we can go for 1/2 hour (or longer if she's having fun) and get a lot of action. I'm assuming blue gill or sunfish would be a good way to go but am up for any and all suggestions, including any advice for those that have done this with there own kids/grandkids, want to make sure fishing is something she likes and not dreads, not even bringing my rods, it's all about her. Want to plant the seeds for when she gets older.

I promise to post pics of the results once we get out.

One place on my radar is the trout pond up in Lincoln, anyone ever gone there? Also don't mind a pay to play situation to make sure she's having fun and getting lots of action.

Thanks gents & gals, and happy Memorial Day to everyone.

Scott V
05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Check your private messages.

DV8
05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure if this would be something your interested in, but I seem to remember a farm up in Apple Hill that has a stocked little trout pond, High Hill Ranch might be it. I worked @ a camp during college that had one, and the kids really loved it.

dryflychico
05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Scott,

Great stuff, thank you.

DV8,
I forgot about that place, been there many times, never fished it though. Thanks for reminding me, we might just have to head up there and take a shot at that place.

dryflychico (Josh)

Clark
05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
That pond at Apple Hill is where I caught my first fish. It was about an eight inch rainbow that my pops and I tricked into eating a garlic flavored marshmallow. I will never forget that day. 25 years later, and I'm still hopelessly addicted to all things fishing.

Dean Y.
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
For the same reasons, I'd be happy to get some info on places like DryFly describes.;) thanks.

Kyo
05-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Sounds like you have the age and attention span dialed in.

We used to practice casting by simply tying a piece of yard on the end of the leader or cut the hook off a wooly bugger and used that to get the concept down. Something you can do any time on the lawn or at your favorite park.

Get some kids polarized sun glasses too.
Start the safety thing early and when they can
see the fish better it's a whole new ball game.

-k-

Woodman
05-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Definitely the polarized glasses. For safety sake and also to see fish. More exciting that way. Had this coversation with my son a few times before I realized.

See that big fish right out there..

Where?

Right there!

Oh yeah, you can't see him...

OceanSunfish
05-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure if this would be something your interested in, but I seem to remember a farm up in Apple Hill that has a stocked little trout pond, High Hill Ranch might be it. I worked @ a camp during college that had one, and the kids really loved it.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the trout pond at Apple Hill is stocked immediately after Labor Day.... There maybe a spring season I am not aware about tho.

The operators of the trout pond allow C&R fishing during the week. Weekend fishing is catch and keep.....priced by the pound....

My kids get a kick just 'feeding' the trout.... one pellet at a time....

Nice place.

Hatch
05-29-2011, 08:03 AM
I have taken my kid and several of my friends kids to Rancho Seco for their first fish. Panfish in the spring can be really easy to catch. On a week day the place is almost deserted. Bobber fishing with conventional gear or a nymph under an indicator work well. Good luck
Hatch

Rich Morrison
05-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Your name says Chico but your location says Sac...in Chico horseshoe lake in upper Bidwell is good spot. I learned to cast a fly rod there at about 6 yrs old and the bluegill were always eager and willing. I've got some fond memories of that spot. Seems like a good kids spot.

Jet
05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Sent you a PM for a close location that will meet your needs and has a Play ground.

Jet

Brig Jones
05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
It is a long drive, but Round Valley reservoir guarantees success on fly with blue gills during mid June.

The location is south of Almanor, to the west of Greenville.

You can easily fish from grassy, gently sloping bank.

Any small fly works.

NorCalDrifter56
05-31-2011, 08:43 AM
I remember when my kids were small and I got them 'hooked' and kept them that way utilizing a club called Wilderness Unlimited. It has many opprotunities like you are requesting in the Sac area and in the foothills. It also has great opportunities for us adults too.

Send me a PM if you need more info.

Good luck with your little one.

Scott Thornley
06-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I can guarantee you, that when the weather finally turns sunny again, and flows go down, that you can catch a mess o' fish in the creeks running through the open spaces in Roseville. Catfish, Largemouth Bass and Bluegill - and who knows what else are in there. Try the area at Lead Hill and E. Roseville Pkwy.

A "princess" rod, a bobber, some Gamakatsu size 10 octopus circle hooks and some redworms = successful fishing for kids that are even less than two. Pinch down the barb and bring your forceps though. All she has to do is to start reeling slowly when the bobber disappears.

Scott

Mik
06-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Once the ice mets, we hammer them from the shore at Caples Lake. My son caught his first fish there at around that same age. You can fly fish there if it isn't too windy.

onesprig@yahoo.com
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
try round mountain resevoir; just above Greenville on hwy 89

the place is full of bluegill, right near the shore; fly, worm under a bobber,

the kids can watch the fish take the lure/bait; as near a guarantee as i know

good luck:

Terry Imai
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I would suggest that you should make your first trips less than an hour due to a 2 1/2 year old attention span. I have found with my son that panfish was the perfect first fish for him. I believe there's a catch and take on the way just north on highway 99 towards Yuba City that you can take your child for a short time to fish and spend the rest of the time feeding ducks and throwing rocks. Key to keep things fun for them to come back for more...

Just my $.02 for today....

dryflychico
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the great advice. Sorry I have not responded quicker, got absolutely buried at work (still am), thus haven't been able to take her out yet but I truly appreciate all the great ideas, really appreciate all the responses and advice.

For those that sent me PM's, sorry I haven't had time to respond but I really appreciate you guys sharing ideas and locations with me. The plan is to try them all this year. I will respond to the PM's individually when I have time.

When I do finally make it out, I promise I will post some pics.

Thank again everyone, hope some of you are getting some rods bent.

Josh (dryflychico)