PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake camp grounds?

gene goss
05-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Does anyone what camp grounds are open at Davis Lake.

jayclarkflyfishing
05-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Gene-
Lightning Tree is the only USFS campground open this summer due to construction of a new water system at Grizzly and Grasshopper CG's. J&J's Grizzly Store also has 34 campsites available and pay showers.http://grizzlystore.portola-ca.com/.

The weather up here is still in spring mode...meaning cool and windy.It snowed at the lake yesterday and more is expected tonight.If we could ever get some decent weather the hatches will start in earnest.

The west side road is open and the dock is in at Camp 5.There is still some mud and a few snow patches so use caution when traveling on the west side.

If you need ant other info feel free to call me at 530 414 1655.

Good Luck!

Jay

koffler
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I was up there last week and stayed at the Grizzly campground; nightly rates @ Grizzly are $12 for a basic tent site, sites with electrical hook-ups, etc are a bit more. The state/forrest service campgroungs (ex. lightning tree) are $20 per night. I'll be going back to Grizzly in the future-

jayclarkflyfishing
05-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Koffler
To clarify you stayed at J&J's Grizzly Store and Camping Resort?Definitely less expensive than the USFS ones.
Jay

koffler
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes, if I was ambiguous in my previous commentary I stayed at the J&J Grizzy store campgrounds. Again, they were great hosts.

(When coming from Sacramento hang a left on Lake Davis Dr - they are immediately over the dam on the left hand side; if coming from Portola opposite directions exist. I have no ties with J&J other than to say they take care of their facilities.)

Here's a report - early to mid-day (1'ish) fish we're on a green/tan # 16 midge (chironomid); after that shut down was a small (#20) black midge that fell to zebra midges. This info will likely be irrelevant per littletruckee's post above; once the weather turns it will be a new game but all for the better. Good luck - here's my recap of this past weekend:

Thurs: 2 fish (trying to figure it out - 3pm to 6 pm)
Fri - 16 landed; 10 missed
Sat - 2 landed (all day 10 -5pm)
Sun - 4 landed (2 hrs in the float tube); 4 missed - had the potential to be good but I had to pack-up and get out of dodge

You can tell fishing was hit or miss; one great day (for me), the others so-so at best.

Jason

Don Rotsma
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
These are photos of my deck this morning 05-26-11 at Lake Davis. If you come up, be ready for anything. Don

loose_shoes
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Wow! I was just about to ask for any recent reports for Davis. I was planning a 1-day banzai trip somewhere this weekend and Davis was on the short list. Looks like I'll put Davis on the "maybe" list for the weekend and consider my other options.

betty
05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I also heard that they created an "overflow" camping area at Lightning Tree near the Lightning Tree boat launch (which is away from the campground proper). Bathroom, but no water. I'm going to try to confirm this by calling forest service.

Betty

Bull_Dog
05-26-2011, 05:43 PM
These are photos of my deck this morning 05-26-11 at Lake Davis. If you come up, be ready for anything. Don

IT never ends. Is the lake full?

Thanks for all your help on reports in the area Don.

Rob

koffler
05-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Betty -

I spoke with FS when I was up there and they are opening lightining tree boat launch to campers in case of an overfill. Not sure what the net impact will be given that area is limited space wise especially with boats, trailers, etc. To that point, I'd recomend booking @ lightining tree and/or grizzy campground (the private campground per my earlier post) sooner than later - options will be limited this year and perhaps next depending on the infrastructure replacements at the other 2 campgrounds.

Jason