PDA

View Full Version : MF Feather High water impact on fall hatches

Pupa
05-21-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm trying to organize an annual early fall hike-in trip with two out-of-town friends on MF Feather River. Does anyone have a feel as to how all of this high water will impact fishing later in the summer/fall? We usually hit it early October but would it be advisable to go earlier or later to hit that buggy fall window? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-21-2011, 06:38 AM
I think by October everything will be very normal.

The good thing about a big snow pack is that the season will run a little later into midsummer so August might have more cold water than normal.

The bad thing about a big snow pack is that the season usually starts later.

Mark Kranhold
05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Pupa, i love fishing the MFFR in the fall. We have a family cabin in Cromberg which has some great water in the surrounding area. This fall should be a good one ,what areas do you fish? Do you go deep into the canyon?

Pupa
05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the response Bill. Good to know that fall should be back on track.

Fysshead,

Sorry for the late resposse. We have been exploring the area between Cleghorn and Nelson Cr. Absolutely brutal hikes in and out (@ 1000' drops) so not sure how many more years we'll be doing this. We've encountered some good action for small to medium sized rainbows. The solitude alone makes it all worth while. Never tried upriver from Nelson, but looks fishy and certainly more accessible. We have had mixed luck with the Isonychia hatch and the weather in fall, usually early October. Any recommendations for a good window to fish? Thanks.

jayclarkflyfishing
05-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Early fall should be spectacular on the MF Feather.I spend a bit of time fishinging and guiding from Nelson Cr up through Portola and there are some amazing little wild fishies in this area.Above Two Rivers the water has a tannin color from ag runoff in the Sierra Valley, but the fish are willing to eat dries throughout the fall.Good caddis and Little Yellow Sallie hatches as well.And nice access to boot.

The hikes below Nelson are brutal but so rewarding!

Jay

Mark Kranhold
06-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Pupa, littletruckee pretty much hit the nail on the head. There is great water from Nelson confluence to Clio area. My favorite section is from English bar up river to Two rivers. I have caught my biggest fish in these areas up to 18" and lost one that looked to be 20+ ,good wild fish area as well. These bigger fish were all took on streamers tho. I have gone deep into the canyon as well...brutal.