PDA

View Full Version : Article in Cal Fly Fisher about Joe Kimsey

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Nor Cal guide and writer Chip O'Brien does a great job reminiscing about Joe with some of his best friends around the "Ted Fay Fly Shop" in Dunsmuir, California.

My wife and I had a cabin in Dunsmuir for about 10 years and were very fortunate to have some great times with Joe.

He was loved by many and being one of the 'great generation' he had a wonderful, full life.

Don Powell
05-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I remember wandering into the "Ted Fay Fly Shop" one June evening at 5:00 PM ten years ago where Joe was carrying on the tradition... He simply said, "Hike up the tracks and fish these #6 Orange Humpies." What resulted over the next two hours is simply the most memorable of my trout fly fishing lifetime! 24 hooked and only 13 landed in two hours between 5:30-7:30 PM. So many trout smashed my dry fly offering that I had to false cast so many times I felt my right elbow become sore- ever the resourceful fisherman?, I switched the rod over to my left hand and cast errantly, not to mention inaccurately, and hooked a few more!
I'll never forget Joe Kimsey, and hopefully, he'll never forget me because I stopped in to say "thank you" the next day before I returned home.
Rest well, lad, we truly remember you!

Don