PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts for good options next week?

JasonB
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas about some decent options a bit closer to home (foothills, close to Placerville or Auburn) for the following week? The 3-4 hours driving each way to the eastern side is a bit more than I'd like to do, but I'm hoping to get some more quality fishing time in next week. Was thinking about the North Yuba tribs, or maybe the Rubicon or Middle fork of the American (or their smaller tribs), Silver fork, etc???

Honestly, I really don't know how most streams (or lakes) are fishing on the west side right now, as all the talk is usually focused on how high everything is or how much snow is still there. Any suggestions are most welcome, PM is fine too if it's "classified" type info. Don't need trophy size, or double digit body counts... but it would be nice to have some idea that the odds are decent for some hookups.
Cheers, JB

Scott V
05-18-2011, 09:14 AM
I think any small streams will be flowing big and heavy right now. I personally am going to concentrate on lakes and ponds for a while. The bass bite is in full swing right now with some of our best fishing about to happen in ponds and lakes any second. Or you could start heading up the hill to some of the lakes that are free of ice for trout. Shad is another option, but it still seems a little slow and the flows don't make for safe wading.

Dave Neal
05-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I think any small streams will be flowing big and heavy right now. I personally am going to concentrate on lakes and ponds for a while. The bass bite is in full swing right now with some of our best fishing about to happen in ponds and lakes any second. Or you could start heading up the hill to some of the lakes that are free of ice for trout. Shad is another option, but it still seems a little slow and the flows don't make for safe wading.

Scott V has the right idea...!

Man, I really miss the westside foothills bass and sunfish fishing!!

I will be visiting my family in Rocklin/Roseville area really soon... I think my nephews are going to mysteriously come down with a case of the bass bug and need to miss a day of school with their bad influencing uncle.

DFrink
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Supposed to head out with Grandpa this weekend. I'll let you know if the place we are heading to is in oaky shape (it's a small stream, hopefully not to blown). My experience with the areas you mentioned is that they will be high and tough fishing for a while, but maybe better than a 3-4 hour drive. I'll be in touch if things work out.

Dan

Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas about some decent options a bit closer to home (foothills, close to Placerville or Auburn) for the following week? The 3-4 hours driving each way to the eastern side is a bit more than I'd like to do, but I'm hoping to get some more quality fishing time in next week. Was thinking about the North Yuba tribs, or maybe the Rubicon or Middle fork of the American (or their smaller tribs), Silver fork, etc???

Honestly, I really don't know how most streams (or lakes) are fishing on the west side right now, as all the talk is usually focused on how high everything is or how much snow is still there. Any suggestions are most welcome, PM is fine too if it's "classified" type info. Don't need trophy size, or double digit body counts... but it would be nice to have some idea that the odds are decent for some hookups.
Cheers, JB