PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Gold Miners......

Jeff Fisher
05-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Ralph's topic yesterday brought back some interesting memories about miner encounters. I've come across many a miner in my days, but for the most part, have never been hassled or confronted. Usually, the miners I've come across realized I was just fishing and didn't pose any threat to their claim.

However, one time got kinda hairy. Jeff C. and I were deep into the MF Yuba up near Plumbago. If anyone's been in this canyon, you know how remote it is (even with the road). We didn't see any miners on the river, but on the way back up the wall to Allegheny, we took a wrong turn and ended up at the Plumbago Mine. It was like my xterra was a time machine and were back in 1850. Out of the shaft came 4 characters, 3 guys and a woman, one with a shotgun, long white beard, overalls, and every other miner stereotype you can imagine. We were asked if we had beer......then ammo.....then money. Long story short......Jeff and I looked at eachother and got the hell outta there, thankfully without incident. We found the road back up to Allegheny, and no......we didn't stop in for a beer at the local watering hole.

It's interesting to realize that many of these miners live down in these remote canyons for probably most of the year. I think it would make a very cool documentary movie if someone could interview these people.

Any other miner stories out there???

Jeff C.
05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
LOL! That was quite an experience. I wanted to stop at the bar at Allegheny. It sure looked friendlier than the one that we passed in North San Juan with all the locals hanging out in the street outside of it.

Ralph
05-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Lisa and I have hiked (you mostly swim) most of the Yuba Canyon from Milton to Plumbago. It is arduous but spectacular. There is some rope work needed at the second box canyon, but other than that it is scramble. Some good waterfall jumps. The fishing is good but not any better than much more easily accessed places.
Ran into a couple of big grows deep in the canyon and below the third box is the mining community you mention. Everyone carries a gun and it seems that most live distant from society because they are not very social. So far from anywhere, it makes you feel a bit vulnerable.

Dave Neal
05-18-2011, 12:48 PM
The fishing is good but not any better than much more easily accessed places.

LOL. Nice creative diversionary tactic! I respect that...

Though you're nice enough guy and probably telling the complete truth. But I think for the other reasons you mentioned (insert banjo playing) all but the most adventurous, Glock toting anglers will probably stick to the more easily accessed places.

Looking forward to reading your new book, when it is coming out? (illegal grows on public lands)

Ralph
05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Book has been sidelined. We're watching the success of a very similar book, "War in the Woods: Combating the Marijuana Cartels on America's Public Lands" that came out a couple of month's ago. First hand account by CDF&G warden John Nores.

Mike O
05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
A new title for your book which would reach the market better?

"Guerrilla Fly Fishing in Marijauana Country"

Charlie S
05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
A new title for your book which would reach the market better?

"Guerrilla Fly Fishing in Marijauana Country"

Ralph fishes a lot in Mendocino County??????????????????

Ralph
05-19-2011, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=

"Guerrilla Fly Fishing in Marijauana Country"[/QUOTE]

I like it!

Ned Morris
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey Ralph when are you going to update the Sierra Trout Guide? It's been over 20 years since version II. Please don't tell me that one is retired!

Mike O
05-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey Ralph when are you going to update the Sierra Trout Guide? It's been over 20 years since version II. Please don't tell me that one is retired!

I found a Version I the other day...I was sure happy with myself. What a great book.

Ralph
05-20-2011, 06:34 AM
TD-
Revised STG is quite well along the way (pretty much done 2 years ago). I am waiting for DFG's High Mountain Lakes Management Plan and Yosemite's yellow legged frog plan to be completed. DFG is working with huge staff cuts that has slowed their project to a crawl. Yose plan should be out for public comment/review this summer. Both of these plans will govern how lakes are managed and where fish will be found. The fish distribution tables in STG have been completely revised, but until the plans are finalized, the tables will become inaccurate in a short period of time. I'm waiting.

k.hanley
05-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Say hey Ralph,
I still have both versions of STG. But that little red trim cover of the original still envokes great memories of numerous Sierra expeditions. Heck looking at the book right now (for the one millionth time) it's pages have become curled, darkened, and slightly loose (OK a whole bunch loose). Dude your work put a smile on my mug many a day!

Count me in for an updated version if #3 gets completed.
Cheers, Kenny

Ned Morris
05-20-2011, 03:32 PM
TD-
Revised STG is quite well along the way (pretty much done 2 years ago). I am waiting for DFG's High Mountain Lakes Management Plan and Yosemite's yellow legged frog plan to be completed. DFG is working with huge staff cuts that has slowed their project to a crawl. Yose plan should be out for public comment/review this summer. Both of these plans will govern how lakes are managed and where fish will be found. The fish distribution tables in STG have been completely revised, but until the plans are finalized, the tables will become inaccurate in a short period of time. I'm waiting.

Well that is certainly good news. Tell Curtis to take up the slack so you can complete it! Ask around here as I am sure there are a few who could make some good updates on the distro tables index (that DFG list which helped create is ancient history). DFG is accuracy is only good to a point.

Ralph
05-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Kenny-
Every case of those Red Books had random loose pages on the bottom of the box. I think Frank was trying to save on glue :-). No, really!
TD-
Curtis has been top notch and ultra supportive. Straight up guy.

Ned Morris
05-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Just thought I'd be funny throwing a poke. With the exception of Dave Lentz, Curtis has to be one of the very best DFG has in terms of knowledge and background. Talked to him on a couple of occasions and is quite literally a walking Database of High Sierra Ecology. Super nice guy too. Use him for all he's worth and you'll turn out a good one. Looking forward to it.