PDA

View Full Version : Questions about fall salmon

Oldschool
05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
I'll be visiting family in Sept, & want to bring my 8 weight fly rod to try for salmon. I'm retired & and have very limited budget, so can't afford to hire guides. I welcome any suggestions about where I an access the Sacremento or tribs using hipboots or waders.

I'm from Virginia & my salmon/steelhead fishing has been limited to the Great Lake tribs. Is there anything special I should know about Pacific salmon fishing. Of course I'll stop by Kiene's first.

Any suggestions from veteran anglers is greatly appreciated

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
About 5 to 10 years ago we were getting good runs of King Salmon in October on the Lower American River.

Many locals were catching them on flies just below the Goethe Park bridge on the east side of the river.

The last few years our runs have really been poor with many rivers being closed too.

This can change any year because much of this is a big annual cycle.

The Lower Feather River usually has the largest runs of King Salmon starting in August/September which is less than 2 hours from Sacramento.

In September/October we usually have a run of smaller Steelhead locally called "Half-pounders". They run 10 to 20 inches and are caught with trout size gear and trout flies.

BobVP
05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Hey Oldschool,

Having fished the tributaries of Lake Michigan myself, after growing up here, I can tell you it is about the same......lots of casting!

I moved to Milwaukee for a few years ('89-'91) and never changed my gear or the flies I used and I had my usual "success" (a relative term when I write about steelhead...). Just swinging flies has worked for me....the usuals: Zug Bug; Burlap; Etc.

Have a great time.

huntindog
05-17-2011, 09:07 AM
LONG leaders and beads> :D or a 5 ought treble hook...its all the same.