PDA

View Full Version : Truckee options next weekend

SFMike
05-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm heading up to Truckee this weekend and will be staying a few miles outside of town, heading towards the Little Truckee confluence. I know flows have been really high and possibly dangerous lately, so I'm wondering if there will be some fishable water nearby next weekend. I'll have the family with me, so it's not really a fishing trip, but I'd love to sneak away for a few hours and hit the river or hike in somewhere that's not too far away. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Dan LeCount
05-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Right now the situation is hard to predict. Really, it all depends on what the weather does. We just got some more snow. A lot of the loose sediment has been flushed already though, so the water is high and cold, but generally water clarity isnt bad. If it rains or gets very hot, the water will rise again and water clarity will probably go down and will make things tougher. Water levels can change how the various rivers and creeks fish in different ways. Most people are either fishing the Truckee between Tahoe City and Truckee or the Little Truckee between the dams. Im a guide up in Truckee, so feel free to msg me if you have more questions about the fisheries or an update on conditions when you get up here.

SFMike
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info, Dan. I might shoot you a PM when I get up there and see how things look.

cheers,
mike

bigfly
05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Mike, it sounds like you fish here a bit, so you may know this....
One good habit to aquire up here is to watch the flow reports. (a link on my web page)
Or, just peak at USGS before you roll out to fish.
Saves driving, and when you find a flow you like in person, you can see it's at that flow before ya go next time..
There are releases from 5 different damns, and many creeks involved.
Locals move up and down river to find the best spot for the day.
This time of year, we have fewer choices due to melt levels.
That's why we fish along 89 right now. That and the odd post spawn piggy.
If you are down by the LT. fish it, Truckee style. Add some weight, fish the banks.
Looks like next weekend may be overcast, dress for excess.
Hope you hook up.

Jim

SFMike
05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Jim,
Yeah, I always mean to figure out what flows are good, but never end up doing it. I saw a great post of your a little while back with tons of good flow info on the river. I'll try to find that and see what the safe levels are. Even if the flows are high, I'll explore the river a bit and maybe scout out some good spots for later in the summer. Thanks for the advice and maybe I'll get lucky and hook into something.

mike

bigfly
05-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Honest Mike, I avoid posting too much flow info, because the water master could adjust any or all releases while I'm posting.
This is why it is so hard to give folks "perfect reports".
The flows can drop, or gush just about anytime, on different sections..
That's why I urge the pre-trip flow check (flow link), it may help....
When you stand on water, and look around saying to yourself, "boy this sweet" just check when you get home how high it was..then you have a virtual benchmark.
After you identify your perfect "fish number" you just follow your thermometer to the fish.
I don't worry now about safe flows......I stay out of the water altogether.
Fish the bank, fish the bank, fish the bankbankbank.
Good luck this weekend.

jim