PDA

View Full Version : End of the Week

Jay Murakoshi
05-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Well, the first group is going home today and pretty damn excited. Although we didn't have a lot of barn burner days, they though the fishing was great. One "newbie" couldn't believe how fast the roosters and jacks swam around the boat but he did catch a lot of jacks and roosters.
From Thursday to Friday the school of roosters and bait had scattered but were still found.
We ventured into the La Ventana channel to look for dorado. There is a lot of sargasso in the channel but very few dorado. WE only spotted a couple of fish and a few boats saw fish but no eats. The water could warm a few degrees more and I think that will turn on the dorado.
After, we cruised the beach from Taco Bell to the light house and found small pods of roosters but did see a couple single GRANDE roosters but wouldn't eat. Then at the lighthouse point, low and behold a huge school of both roosters and jacks were busting bait and no one else around. My first cast, I hooked into a jack around 8 to 10lbs on a custom made 9wt designed for stripers. This rod was bending at the reel seat from the strain of the Jack. My partner who was on the bow had the typical of s***. On his first cast to the working school, his line went into a cluster******. and then he grabbed my Canon G12 and videoed my on the jack. Then shortly after that we were joined by my other two boats and they had a double hook up. Ya gotta see it to understand the madness.

One thing I want to stress to people who are coming down. Practice a little longer cast and a fast, fast double hand retrieve. If the fly stops the rooster will turn away but a jack might eat it.

That's all for now, video and photo's will be posted, when I get a break

Jay

Lew Riffle
05-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Your fastest strip is still like slow motion. A ripping sweep with your rod sometimes adds the extra speed or change of direction accelerated flight motion that keeps it all going to a bite when you get a rooster interested. Make sure you have enough strip left in your "mojo" to set the strike. Try and keep that stripping hand up close to the rod as you sweep leaving you ready to point the rod tip and strip strike to finalize the hookup.
Now the coil of line your feet are all tangled in. Simply clear it and and get the the fish on the reel before your Capitan busts a gut laughing at you.
A word for the Capitans Lucero...they have some of the best throwing arms in Baja Sur...they work very hard and are as just as much a part of the hook up as you casting. Respect that and work with them and you will have an ulitimate experience fishing for Roosters, Jacks, and Dorado in this style of throwing bait to work up feeding boils. In a word they are some of the best and why some the best guides from the U.S. come to fish with them every year.
vemo en la playa LEW