PDA

View Full Version : airflo tactical steelhead???

Sandspanker
05-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Hello everyone since its getting closer to summer time. I would like to get started working with my 7wt 13-3 rod. I have the airflo tactical steelhead lin on it. The question I have is the 8ft floating cheater that comes with it. Do always use that when using poly leaders?? and only take it off if and when I put a sink tip on?? Like 5 ft of t8. Thanks:fish:

Dustin Revel
05-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure for your specific applications but I use a cheater when I feel my tip isn't long/heavy enough to anchor well or turnover softly. when i am using a short tip even if it is extremely dense I often use a cheater.

there is a sweet spot (length) for every rod/line combo. i've heard of ratios of rod length and line length, though I don't follow any ratio.

With my rod i have found i can cast a tip that is between x and x feet long and between x and grains. if I'm less than the lower boundaries i add a cheater to see what happens.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-22-2011, 09:57 PM
The Airflo 'Tactical Steelhead' floating head come with an 8' tapered floating tip on the front @ $58.

You need to buy a running line too.

These heads are about 40 feet long so they are kind of between a Skagit and a mid-belly line (Delta or Windcutter).

With the head and floating tip installed you can add a tapered Rio Steelhead leader to it for fishing on or near the surface.

You can take off the 8' floating tip and put on most any type of factory or custom sink-tip.

http://speyshop.kiene.com/airflotacticalsteelhead.aspx

**We still sell more Skagit and Scandi heads than anything else.

Sandspanker
06-02-2011, 10:06 AM
I have the 7wt on my redington rs4 spey and it is easy to cast poly's and jacks on the t11 sinktip with the 8ft tip removed. I was thinking of buying the 8 wt for my echo solo 8wt for winter fishing. Would this be a good choice?? I am using the 600 gr skagit from rio now on this rod. Thnaks again for the help.