PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek / Mill Creek

Slice
05-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi fellas,

I am heading up to the Deer Creek area( up 32 near forest ranch) tomorrow for a couple days and I am looking for some info. When looking online the campgrounds seem to be closed, is this due to budget constraints? Can I just head up one of the dirt roads to camp? I can backpack to a site, car camp (4WD or other) or sleep in my car in a parking lot. Finally, does anyone have reports for the area?

I have a great map with all dirt roads and trails listed and am somewhat familiar with the area although its been many years since ive been there. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Ben J
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Haven't been out there this year, but i would expect pretty high flows, perhaps unfishable... Maybe someone else has seen the creeks first hand. Most FS campgrounds won't open until Memorial Day or later, but i would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a place for dispersed camping... It should also be noted that the road south from Paynes Creek off of 36 (Ponderosa Way?) to Black Rock will be closed this summer due to construction on the bridges over the forks of Antelope Creek.... which really sucks for those who enjoy that area.

Good luck and i hope you find some fish!

huntindog
05-12-2011, 05:42 AM
bring about a pocketful of 1 oz weights..creek is up and ripping...high cold water. also....check out the weekend forecast .....RAIN RAIN RAIN

huntindog
05-12-2011, 05:47 AM
also keep in mind that most of those dirt roads still have plenty of snow on them..I have a cabin up in that neck of the woods and I cant get to within 10 miles of it because there is still 6 feet of snow there

Slice
05-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, we'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Ill bring my rain gear!

Slice
05-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Wew, Im back, deer creek was high. Headed to Butt Valley Res and down to hwy 70, feather also high, super high. Great camping trip. I came back with as many fish as I went up with, broke even. First time I fished my newly completed rod, its supposed to have a fish next to it in the pic but... maybe next time... or maybe photo shop. Deer cr just above the red bridge, and Butt vly res.

k.hanley
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Say hey Slice,
"Great camping trip. I came back with as many fish as I went up with, broke even."

Great attitude and great line! You have your priorities straight. Enjoy the adventure.
Cheers, Ken

Scott V
05-17-2011, 09:08 AM
For me it has been all about the adventure for the last couple of years. I use to get bummed about not catching a fish, but I am over that now. I am just so happy to be able to get out and do what we do that if I catch a fish it is just an added bonus.

Love that last pic of the tent by the lake.