PDA

View Full Version : Trade secret for anadromous runs of fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Look for the RVs, cars, pickups, boats and people.

When they are the thickest, your there.

This has been true for many decades, even before the Internet.

NorCalDrifter56
05-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Even today when the fish are in the people are in too. True on the the lower Sac and Trinity in the fall. Even with the diminished runs in recent years the crowds still the runs.

What I find interesting is that there are always places to beat the corwds, catch the fish and have a very personal day with the river. Following the crowds doesn't mean you get to catch fish. You will no doubt be around them but catching is a different story. Anyone who has been to the 'Barge Hole' on the lower Sacramento can attest to the fact that they saw fish moving but very few caught especially when you consider the number of fishermen.

Curt
NorCaldrifter56@yahoo.com

Scott V
05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
If I see a bunch of cars parked, I continue to drive until I see no cars. I would rather enjoy some quiet time with no fish then spend it elbow to elbow sith others and catch fish unless it is all my friends then I will rub elbows.

I just prefer the quiet.

EricO
05-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Agreed Scott. That's my MO as well.

EO

dryflychico
05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Right there with you Scott, I'll bust my ass to get away from people, just not worth it in my humble opinion. I go fishing to get away from everyone and everything (except for fishing friends and fish :)

Larry S
05-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I suspect, nowadays, that some folks' idea of a great fishing spot is one that has
great cell phone reception. I know many (most) in Kieneville feel just the opposite.
Larry S

Rick J
05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
looking for cars can be a way to get to know new spots you have not fished before. When I first started fishing the North Umpqua I would look for parked cars and take it one step further. Etiquette on this river is you don't fish a run where someone is already fishing - but that is not to say you can't get out and look to see exactly where theyare fishing and how - there are very specific lies on the NU and the more you watch and learn, the better off you will be.

Same really holds true for many rivers - when running up the Klamath in my jet boat, if I see someone in a run I have not fished before, I will stop at some later time and take a look to see what I may be missing

Bob Laskodi
05-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I second Rick's advice. I do the exact same thing. So for all you newbee's out there, Bill's advice gave you the first keys to the kingdom.

jrivera
05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
...in 2008, I went to Torres Del Paine in Patagonia, Chile for the first time...the guide used that exact same trick to find sea run browns...