PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mother's Day - BCS

Jay Murakoshi
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Well today is a different day, mother's day here in La Paz. Oh yeah, you want to know about the fishing. What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours.
The bait is still down at Punta Pila but Efren and I found some just north of the rooster beach on the island, so now the bait boys - peat and repeat won't have to go as far. It's a little bigger bait this year but still working. We fished around the island for a couple hours. Lot's and lot's of lady fish, quite a few small roosters (4 to 8lbs), jacks are with them and some sierra's. After getting more bait, we headed t to the beach around 10:30 and motored along the lighthouse. It wasn't long before we found a HUGE school of small roosters. Doubles every time we had hook ups. Then Grandpa come look'n for the young'ns and they were in the 30lb + range but couldn't get them to eat the fly. My boat partner did hook on to one but a cluster in the line just couldn't make it through the guides. Then we head south around the point from the lighthouse and boy there were a lot of roosters and some small and some HUGE. I had one on but dropped it. The other boats were hooking up and having fun.
I had a decent size fish on then the line went slack. A sierra had bit my line in two. That's fishing. A lot of blue water which means the fishing is only going to get better and better in the coming weeks.
Oh yeah, one of our boats went to the La Ventana area. Lot's a sargasso along the shore line. Lot's of bait a few dorado and a huge schools of roosters. They were on roosters for 4 hours +

I'll post some photo's and video's as soon as I find time to edit

Damn, i love my job

Jay

FISHEYE
05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Jay, You have me shaking and salivating. Save some for me. Do you want anything from Alaska? Phil

Jay Murakoshi
05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Un informe de pesca de la Baja ... Corto y dulce
Esta maņana tenemos una Viento fuerte.
La pesca de hoy

Senor Jay

FISHEYE
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
The machine translation:

A report of fishing of the Drop... Short and candy this morning we have a strong Wind. The fishing of today.

My interpretation: Today's fishing report for the baja. Short and sweet. Its really windy today.

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Today was like night and day. The weather report last night said NW winds at 4 to 6mph around 6am. By noon it was suppose to be North around 14mph. They weren't far off.
First thing we did was head to La Ventana area. One of our boats yesterday fished there the day before and stayed on roosters for 5 hours. They even caught one dorado around 15lbs.
It was tasty.
So our little boat ride did pay off. Lot's of bait and lot's of roosters, jacks, skip jack and mexican barracuda. We had a lot of double hook ups on jacks and roosters. They're not big but average around 5 to 9lbs. You can hand line those little dudes in. After a while Efren said we go find more roosters along the la playa. The first spot we hit was the Boca. Damn, big schools of roosters and no one around - HOW SWEET is that. Fish on !!!! Damn, dropped him, opps another one on. The size of the school had to be 50 to 100 fish. For those of you who have never experienced the speed of these fish, you'll be surprised.

We followed this school for an hour. Then found another school close to the beach and played with them about an hour. Around 11:30 the North wind started to pick up and we started motoring to the lighthouse. On the way, we found grand pa, a rooster around 50lbs
He must of had his dentures out because he didn't want to eat. We threw every thing but the kitchen sink.
Overall, I'd say we caught around 70 roosters and that includes Efren's 15-20 fish.

Here's a suggestion for those coming in the next few weeks.. If you don't have a RIO WF/I line, I suggest to purchase one. That's all we are using. I'm also using a 8 and 9 wt rod.
Bait fish patterns are working great as well as the tan colored airhead flies. The sea habit is holding it's own, also

Tomorrow is the last day for the group

Jay

Flyboy_AK
05-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the report Jay. See you Saturday. I threw in my Sage 8wt Xi3 with a RIO Saltwater WF/I for a pee-shooter. Should be set, have all of the big guns..... Anticipation building greatly....