PDA

View Full Version : american river 4/6

thepeacockspecial
05-06-2011, 10:21 PM
tried to wet my fly for some shad.... instead... i hooked an adult steelhead up to the point where i was about to net... it was dumb of me to use 5x in the first place. after i broke it off, i took a walk across a bridge to scope out the area.. steelies are in, and willing to play.

saw a few half pounders fly for emergers... broke the back case of my iphone 4 in the process of trying to record a video. fishing will be a lot better once the flows drop... i'm a shorty.. so it sucks having the water so high.

Mark Kranhold
05-06-2011, 10:52 PM
The joy of the American. So many anadromous fish, got to love it. 5X in these flows=; ?? Crazyness ,but congrats on the steel:thumbsup:, thats an awsome way to get the heartrate up.

Blueracer
05-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Well that's a catch peacock. We can't always get a photo when we want to. Hey, did you mean 5/6 and not 4/6?

thepeacockspecial
05-07-2011, 11:07 PM
5x... I left my pack in my car, went to the river with my cousin...so I only hd whatever was left in my jacket. Flows aren't too bad in some areas. I was able to wade at least 20 yards out.. And I'm pretty short.

I will probably be back next week.. Maybe I'll catch a shad then

Kastings
05-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Hey Peacock, Where were you fishing that you were able to wade out? I'm short, too, and these high flows on the American are keeping me home. Thanks, K.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2011, 08:25 AM
We get spring run Half-pounders that run 12-16 inches and we get spring run wild small adult fish (4-6#) now too.

March, April and May is the timing for these smaller Steelhead.

We just have high water which makes it hard to fish and harder to find these fish.

We think there are some Steelhead in the Lower American River almost year round now?