PDA

View Full Version : WRC Lower Klamath purchase

Bruce Slightom
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.westernrivers.org/pages/news2010klamath.html

Western Rivers Conservancy purchased lands along the lower Klamath and turned it over to the stewardship of the Tribe.

FlyReelFisher
05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Bruce,
Do you know when they plan to purchase the lower Blue Creek watershed?

Thanks for sharing this!

Bruce Slightom
05-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Bruce,
Do you know when they plan to purchase the lower Blue Creek watershed?

I do not know when this will happen. I do know that it has been in the works for some time now.

Some of the concerns that I have are does the Tribe have the resources to maintain the road system that is in place. There are many miles of roads that Green Diamond did a good job of repairing and replacing culverts that had failed in the past.

I do know that the Tribe took the harvest/ resource plan that was developed by GD and resubmitted it as their own. So I do not think much will change in the foreseeable future.

FlyReelFisher
05-10-2011, 11:28 AM
What concerns me is some Yurok are rumored to illegally sell Salmon netted at night on the Smith River. Apparently some Tolowa net them and the Yurok sell them as "Klamath Salmon." That's the rumor.

The Yurok have been rumored to be pursuing "memorial rights" to net on the Smith legally. What is Western Rivers plans for the Smith?

I applaud the statement about "basket weaving," but I worryl if all of this property will fall back under their control, and their sovereign nation laws, they will continue "traditional fishing methods" which for some reason include jet boats and 100 foot wide monofilament fill nets. Those practices can wipe out a run in 5 years.

I will give the Naturals this, the best areas for the plants the Pomo wove baskets from, are under the Reservoirs in Sonoma County. That is a shame.

I hope this venture leads to better trust, cooperation and unity in the "stakeholders" of the immediate area.

JasonB
05-16-2011, 02:52 PM
What concerns me is some Yurok are rumored to illegally sell Salmon netted at night on the Smith River. Apparently some Tolowa net them and the Yurok sell them as "Klamath Salmon." That's the rumor.

Well I think that a lot of folks, myself included, would share your concerns. I always cringe however when I see rumors being spread, which by your own words is what this statement amounts to. Without some evidence to back this up, I think that you could voice all concerns just fine without spreading rumors around. Not doubting the possibility that this could well be true as I have no idea, I just hate to see anyone out there start jumping to false conclusions based on rumors that they see on the internet...
JB

FlyReelFisher
05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I used the word rumor. I've seen the net. I've seen the re-bar they string it between. You can see the boat the use, it stays on the bank.

The activity is rumored. The evidence is in plain sight. Word of mouth through law enforcement is where the Tolowa/Yurok business relationship was brought to light.