PDA

View Full Version : Quest for a new rod

Mik
05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
I have been given the green light by the wife to purchase a new fly rod. This is very rare. It has been 10 years since I bought my last rod and I am finding it harder than ever to actually make a decision on what rod I want to buy. I am looking at getting a 6 weight. Should I only go on feel when I am casting it or are there rod companies that are a cut above the others? Any thoughts on a RL Winston, Scott, SAGE or Orvis?

590Mike
05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Don't forget Hardy or Grays

Larry S
05-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Mik:
My two cents -- I have St Croix's saltwater 6-wt. Has a small fighting butt section which
I really like. Around $350. Temple Fork has just come out with a new BVK series.
Their 6-wt also has the fighting butt. Around $250. I'm anxious to cast it
for comparisons. Either of these leave you with $250 - 350 off the price of the Sages,
Winstons, etc which are great rods. That will get you a suitable reel and line if
you had that in mind. Might even be enough left over to treat that great wife of your's
to a nice dinner out.
Good luck with your decision,
Larry S

Darian
05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Altho you've limited your choice by naming only high end brands, you haven't given us much info about the intended use for this new rod.... Lots to consider here. Action/length of the rod, grip shape, reel seat, type of fishing that it'll be used for, etc. :confused:

You should try to judge a rod by it's casting qualities, first. Go to Kiene's shop or your local shop and test cast some 6 weight rods of differing actions and different lengths. Then make your choice. Happy shopping. :D :D

Scott V
05-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Mik,
I highly recommend casting the new TFO BVK, it casts like a beauty. And the 6 weight was the one I tried. Plus you can't beat the price or warranty on a TFO rod. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the TFO BVK rod. I hope to get one soon myself.

k9mark
05-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm with Scott. I bought a 5wt TFO BVK in January after test casting a bunch of rods. Very pleased with it.

oldtrout
05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
If you have to wait ten years to buy a rod...

Wayne makes an outstanding 8'6" 6 wt.

http://beaverheadrods.com/

LakeFisher
05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Should I only go on feel when I am casting it or are there rod companies that are a cut above the others? Any thoughts on a RL Winston, Scott, SAGE or Orvis?

Mik,

There are many variables that come into play when choosing a rod but I'll chime in since I fish 6 wt. rods often. I lake fish w/ intermediate line, floating line w/ indicator and some fast sinking shooting head. And I often fish out of float tube and in windy conditions so I chose Sage XP (discontinued) and G. Loomis GLX both in 9 1/2 feet long and I'm very happy w/ both.

They are both fast, powerful rods w/ GLX having more power in my opinion. I use the XP w/ floating line and GLX w/ sinking lines. GLX has almost unlimited power if timed right and still feels responsive. This is where it gets tricky: one man's magic wand is another man's broom stick. If you're into the action of say Winston BIIx then you may not like this rod. A good caster can make any rod work but for my less than perfect stroke, and my biomechanics, I prefer faster rods.

So list out what's important to you and shop around. I'm sure you can't go wrong by sticking w/ the major fly rod makers you mentioned.

NVswitch
05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a 9 1/2 ft 6wt. Sage Z-axis with short fighting but (697-4) and love it. I use this rod for almost everything. great for fishing from a float tube, boat indicator fishing on rivers, etc. it is a do it all type of rod. the extra 6" is a big help and the super light weight makes the 9 1/2 feel like a 9. if the price is an issue, try the VXP in the sage line. new this year.
I also would check out the Orvis rods in 9 1/2 like the top end helios or the next in line Hydros. The newest generation graphite in 9 1/2 ft is a dream length. Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
We got the new TFO 'BVK' series in the 9' #6 - 4 piece with the full wells grip and fighting butt yesterday @ $249.96

caniretireyet?
05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
We got the new TFO 'BVK' series in the 9' #6 - 4 piece with the full wells grip and fighting butt yesterday @ $249.96

Heck, MiK, at that price, you can get three for the price of a Winston. You're wife will realize how smart you are!

Steve

Mik
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input. I should have spent more time telling you how I would use the rod. I use a Sage XP 5-weight now for trout and shad. I spend a lot of my fishing hours on the American, Upper Sac, McCloud and sierra lakes and streams. I want a little more backbone to toss nymphs, a nice roll casting rod. I am leaning towards a 9 1/2 ft. rod to get that extra length while high sticking. You have all given me things to think about in my quest for a new rod.

Thanks,
Mik

huntindog
05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
in my opinion the perfect rod was built 15 years ago in chico...the Powell long reach....the only rod i will ever need for most of my nor-cal exploits.

pgw
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I really appreciate everyone's input. I should have spent more time telling you how I would use the rod. I use a Sage XP 5-weight now for trout and shad. I spend a lot of my fishing hours on the American, Upper Sac, McCloud and sierra lakes and streams. I want a little more backbone to toss nymphs, a nice roll casting rod. I am leaning towards a 9 1/2 ft. rod to get that extra length while high sticking. You have all given me things to think about in my quest for a new rod.

Thanks,
Mik

Based on your intentions, if I had to select a rod today...I'd probably get this one from the guys in Redding:
https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_56&products_id=431&osCsid=82clhjfojvpvcvuqhk92ham80tgbdje2

...and you don't have to use an indicator unless you really feel you need it.

Have fun,

Paul

oldtrout
05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Based on your intentions, if I had to select a rod today...I'd probably get this one from the guys in Redding:
https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_56&products_id=431&osCsid=82clhjfojvpvcvuqhk92ham80tgbdje2

...and you don't have to use an indicator unless you really feel you need it.

Have fun,

Paul

Wow, that sounds great. I hate sacrificing pwoer, whatever that might be. Are you attending the GOOF?

bigfly
05-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Mik, if you already field an XP, I could see pairing it with a Sage 99. I often do.
I'm having a ball with my 6wt. High sticking with a Rio gold, and some single hand stuff with an A. salmon taper line from Rio.
Power dries with the XP, then indies on a 99.
They don't stand a chance.

Jim

pgw
05-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Wow, that sounds great. I hate sacrificing pwoer, whatever that might be. Are you attending the GOOF?

Looks like I'll be there Friday through Sunday...I plan on bringing a 3 wt chunk of wood in case I wander down the road to the "misplaced creek".

Paul

590Mike
05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I will lightly mention a point. This is a fly fishing BB sponsored by a gentleman who happens to be in the business of fly fishing equipment.

Mik
06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
My price range has been set by my wife at around the $500 mark. It seems that these rod manufacturers are putting their $800 rod technology into a mid priced option, due to the economy. I really like the Sage VXP--6 weight 9ft....with fighting butt. Sooo smooth and light. I tried out the Orvis hydros and the Sage VXP in a 9ft and 9 1/2 foot. Lengthwise....I thought the 9 1/2ft. rods were too sluggish. I thought there was a huge difference between casting the Hydros and VXP. VXP was fast and effortless. As we all know, a rod can be totally different for each person and what line you put on it, but so far The SAGE VXP is the frontrunner.