PDA

View Full Version : Spawn is on?

Bringsfire
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
It seems the bite on the Sacramento has gone cold. I heard a lot of reports of spawning fish yesterday near Tisdale. If true, they probably won't be eating this week. I have to work today, but will give the Feather a shot Thursday and Friday. My guess is it will be a good week to put down the striper rig and bust out some shad flies.

Tony Buzolich
05-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Kerry,

They've been spawning on the Feather too even though the water is cold at 56 degrees.

Just because they are spawning doesn't mean the end of the world. Get this,,,,,NOT all spawners return to the bay right away and some not at all. And after they go through all the physical activity of spawning, they're REALLY hungry.

I've been on the river three days this week and seen spawning every day and the fishing has been great, and I expect it to continue good as long as there are shad in the rivers. That should easily go into July.

Some of the bigger stripers stay here all year and some of the best fishing for them is August and September. There aren't the huge numbers like there are now but they are better fish.
TONY