PDA

View Full Version : Personal Best ?

Tony Buzolich
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
For the last few days I've been having some engine trouble on my boat. It runs fine above 3000 rpm but rough below that and I hestitate to take anyone out with even the slightest doubt about safety on water.

So, what do you do? You take your best friends out and hope nothing happens along the way. Well, yesterday I took my good buddy Bill out nice and early thinking we were going to pound them. Yep, got to the spot in the dark, made one false cast, and snap-shutter wham, my new *** ******** line goes flying into the bushes or the water or somewhere and I'm left hold only the running line in my hand. Damn! Glad I brought a back-up but the day isn't starting off very well.

We work the area hard without even a tap so we move. Still nothing, so we move again, and then again and now it's daylight and still not even a single bump. That's the way it is sometimes until you find them. After several hours Bill finally hooks up a nice fish in about a foot of water that takes off like a bonefish. They can't go down so they go sideways fast. We finally found a small bunch of cooperating fish and ended the morning fairly well but we had to work for them. On the way back we spotted our first bunch of spawning fish busting the surface. Water temperature was 54 degrees at 10:30AM. A bit cold for them to spawn but if you're horny enough the cold doesn't seem to matter.

Today I'm on the water with Jim May using his boat. Knowing my boat is questionable until it's fixed we decide to take his. We hit a nice wall of fast moving water and get a double hookup within the first or second cast. Yahoo, this is a lot better than the previous day. We get the fish in (both nice six pounders) and continue our drift downstream. A few more casts and we both hook up again :) ANOTHER DOUBLE, and then a single. And we've only been on the water 15 minutes. GEEEEZ what a great start to the day!

We keep moving and keep hooking up and these are not dink fish. It's only 6:30 in the morning and we've already got 18 striped bass between us with only a couple of fish that were under legal size.

What's going on? These have to be new fish that have moved in over night and they're HUNGRY. We're using totally different flies and it didn't seem to matter, they were hitting whatever we threw at them. Actually, we both used the same flies all day and didn't loose a single fly. That's amazing because of all the snags and dredging we do.

The morning kept on like this for the next couple of hours until Jim had to go to work. How many fish did we get? I'm not going to say, but, I will say we had nine double hook- ups with fish up to twelve pounds and 75% of those were legal size and better.

On the way we saw another group of spawning stripers boiling on the surface. Water temp. today is still cold at 56 degrees but they're going at it.

If you haven't gotten over to the SAC yet it's hot when you find them and the water is clearing up nicely. As for my boat, I'm out of commission for a while until my new motor comes in a week or so.:)

See ya out there, TONY

Bringsfire
05-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Tony are you having any luck in the evenings, or does it seem to be primarily an early morning bite?

Tony Buzolich
05-04-2011, 06:26 PM
I personally haven't gone out in the evening this year yet, but I have several friends that have and they've done well too. I'm sure it's like anywhere else, the first and last couple of hours of daylight are the best. There's been a lot of boat traffic in the afternoons too when guys get off work and want to hit the river for a few hours before going home.
TONY

AndreD
05-04-2011, 10:57 PM
So what was the diagnosis on the motor that you have to get a new one? Did it get worse and cant be fixed?

Tony Buzolich
05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi Andre,

As you know the low speed idle wasn't running smooth so I took it in to Sutter Marine. They want to rebuild the carburators and go from there. That means four carbs at about an hour each at shop rate of $110.00/hr. :( So, I said the heck with it, I'll buy a new 90hp Merc. and trade in the motor I've got.

So I make the deal, give the guy a check, and he says he'll call me the next day when he can confirm a delivery date. Well, he just called (George at Precision Marine) and said that he can't get either a 90hp or a 115hp because Mercury is out of stock. My option he says is to buy an Opti-Max two-cycle:( No thanks!

At this moment I'm still trying to find a good deal on a new motor but it seems no one actually stocks bigger motors, they just order them as they need them. So, at this moment I'm still without a boat and not sure which direction to go.

Flys4b8
05-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Tony, after years of four strokes I went to a Evinrude Etec a couple of years ago and LOVE IT. I would never go back to the heavier, gass guzzling four stroke motor. I have a 17' Lowe that jumps out of the hole with a 50hp on it, runs at 32 to 34 mph and runs all day for two days on 12 gallons.....additionally, I never have to charge the trolling motor, since the oversize alternator charges it everytime I run the motor between holes.

There are no fumes, smoke, etc....the direct injection actually runs cleaner than a 4 stroke. It starts everytime, even after sitting for 3 months on the first turn of the motor and is whisper quiet...sometimes I don't even know it's running. Maintenance....no valves, no timing chain, no oil changes....just turn the key and go.

Two strokes have changed....talk to some people who own them.

The Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, that patrols Lake Tahoe busting people who run the old two strokes....uses Etecs on their boats. That says something about how clean they run. :nod:

Tony Buzolich
05-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I've heard good things about the E-Tec too and their new technology. The problem I have is the limited dealerships who service outboards of anykind up in my area.

This coming Tuesday I'll have a new Merc 115hp 4 stroke onboard installed at Gone Fishing Marine in Dixon.
TONY

Flys4b8
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
:D.............

Hogan Brown
05-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Etecs rock. I have a 60hp on my 17' and will never own anything else again. I agree with everything said above about the Etec. Just guided 2 full 9-10hr days on about $30 worth of gas.