PDA

View Full Version : For those with Kayaks...

WinterrunRon
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Leave your fly rod at home and head to the Trinity. Flows will peak at 11k cfs out of Lewiston tomorrow!

That's gotta be fun!

JasonB
05-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm actually on the Trinity at this moment, in my kayak but not fishing unfortunately :( I am working as part of a team to provide safety for some of the scientists who are studying the sediment transport at these flows... kinda exciting really.

I can't say that I would recommend being on the river at all to anyone at this time, although there have been 2 rafters that have gone down the river that I've seen. It's quite high, and some of the bridges are dangerously low to the water plus there's a lot of scary logs coming down the river from time to time as well. All of the tributaries are in quite nice shape for boating, if a bit too high for optimal fishing...

I can say that there's been a lot of hatch activity, which I'm trying to check out in very quick glances when I can. I'm not all that up on my bugs just yet, but know enough to have seen a few salmon flies, and the first caddis flies that I've seen this spring, and we're ending up with a handful or two of BIG (size 4 or so) stonefly nymphs in a lot of our sediment samples (strictly "catch and release" of course). I keep hoping for an early day where I might get in some fishing time on some of the upper tribs but it hasn't happened yet...

Dave Neal
05-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Jason-

Sounds like a fun project to be a part of. Wish I was there too!

I see all those painted rocks in the fall/winter. It would be cool to see some pics of the river at 11,000cfs...

One of these days I am going to visit Weaverville and the T-Alps in summertime!

Cheers.