PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Colors?

Tony Buzolich
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Do you ever wonder if fish have already seen enough of the same thing to get tired of it? How many Chartruese/White Clousers have they seen in every body of water that they've swam in? How many real baitfish do we have in our area that are chartruese in color? So why is this such an attractive color to a lot of game fish? Maybe, because it is an ATTRACTOR. It doesn't imitate anything, it just gets their attention.

The Clouser shape is a general baitfish type shape. The chartruese color may stay the same a bit longer as your fly dives deeper. The erratic motion of stripping may create the look of an injured bait. I'm still thinking about Ralph's pictures of flies underwater from a few days ago. They all seemed to go toward a greenish chartruese color as they went deeper and the red colors disappeared.

Here's one of my favorite colored flies that I use on my Full Dressed Clousers.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/003upload-2.jpg

But sometimes it seems they even get tired of seeing this tied in chartruese and shut down. Last week we had to switch to Red/White for a while in order to get their attention. Early and late in the day black or purple seems to get their attention because of the bolder contrast.

Sometimes you just have to try something totally different to get results like this Circus Clown colored clouser. Purple, blue, yellow, orange, sparkle, etc.etc.. Ask me how well IT works the next time you see me out on the river.:)
TONY

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/001upload.jpg

Darian
05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Interesting subject.... Some colors seem to be more attractive to fish over a long period than others. As mentioned, Chartreuse has been around for a while. 8)

I don't believe that fish tire of colors over time or chartreuse Clousers wouldn't be as effective as they've been all of these years. Shape or silhouette plays a roll in what interests a fish as well as noise (as in rattle). Some flies are tied to imitate prey in as precise detail as possible and some are impressionistic. Each of us can relate to experiences where one style of fly doesn't appear to interest anything with fins and a quick change of the fly type will get things going again. This seems to happen in fresh as well as salt water. So, for me, some combination of these elements is necessary to attract fish. :nod:

With all of the advancements we've made in fly design, patterns designed in antiquity are still effective. Think the wooly bugger is a modern pattern :?:

I'm fairly sure that we try to over think some of these things. After all, we're talking about a fish with a brain the size of a pea. But trying to outwit a fish is what makes all of this stuff so much fun. Now, where's my chartreuse over white Clouser with the blue flashabou veil.... :lol: