PDA

View Full Version : Float/camp lower sac?

Big Jim
04-28-2011, 10:01 PM
A friend heard that its possible to do an overnight float on the lower Sac and camp along the river. He didn't hear where the camping spots were though, except that perhaps they are below red bluff. Does anyone know about this, we would love to do it. any info appreciated.

Jim

matt johnson
04-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Jim,

"Danger Island" is a nice big island on the river about 2 miles upstream from Balls Ferry that is a popular primitive campsite.

I think people probably put in at Anderson River Park and then take out at the Barge Hole or Jelly's Ferry with an overnighter on the island.

Another spot is Massacre Flats on BLM land below the Bend. Here I think people put in at Jelly's and take out at Red Bluff.

Hope this helps, Matt.

Hogan Brown
04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
There are some nice camp floats you can do. Anderson to Jelly's. camp at the island a few runs above Balls Ferry. Or you can do Balls to Redbfluff and camp right down from the mouth of inks creek on the bend.

Ralph
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Jim-
A few years ago I kayaked from Lake Siskiyou to the Bay. For three weeks camped almost every day (spent a couple days at a friend's house in Colusa and again in Tehama). Except between the American River and Isleton, finding a campsite was never an issue. The hardest part was deciding WHICH place to stay.
~R

huntindog
04-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Holy cow, cannot believe the name danger island stuck..we (some DFG sci aids) started calling it that 15 years ago when we had a screw trap set up there...I think at one point we found some washed up plywood and a can of spray paint and wrote danger island on it as a joke when we had a little camp set up there. way too funny

ksrpaca
05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Jim, Sac River Outfitters (http://www.sacriveroutfitters.com/) used to offer an overnight trip. If they don't still offer it, they may be able to pass along some tips. Likewise, Craig Nielsen at Shasta Trout (http://www.shastatrout.com/) is exceedingly generous in providing tips for drifters.

If you're looking for recruits for the trip, happy to toss my hat in the ring.

Big Jim
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. Looking forward to a fun trip. Thats what I like about this board!

Jim