PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Report: S-L-O-W

TroutNoDoubt
04-27-2011, 05:04 PM
A buddy and I drifted Posse Grounds to Bonneyview yesterday with an excellent guide and only managed 7 grabs, four hook ups, and three fish to the net. A very long day of flogging the water with little result. The trout were more interested in sex than food as far as I can tell.

Chock this one up to "due paid" - in full!

Sammy
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
"Chock this one up to "due paid" - in full!"

I'm sure we all would agree. Better tell the trout though. :)

RJSFLYTRIP
05-01-2011, 07:08 AM
The Lower Sac is still fishing solid if you ask me. This week I have been boating 25-30 fish per day on the lower floats down to Anderson or Balls Ferry. This time of year when the trout are spawning the upper drift by Posse Grounds can be tough at times. It is really hit and miss up there. I've been hearing mix reports of good and tough fishing. But don't just assume the whole river is that way. There is still solid fishing to be had lower in the river. Now the fish are not as big down there but they are definitely plentiful. Lots of fish in the 12-16" range. Hot flies have been rubberlegs and pmd nymphs.

Tight Lines!

huntindog
05-01-2011, 07:27 AM
agree with RJ above..not sure what went wrong on the day the trip in the original post but the people i know that have been fishing it have been having spectacular fishing days

NorCalDrifter56
05-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I sympathize with you and we have all had 'those days'. It is tough to pick one day out of the year and count on good to excellent fishing. Location guides, fishing skills, weather can all have a huge effect on fishing success.

I have drifted recently (I live and guide in Redding) and my days have mostly been fair to great over the last weeks since the flows have stablized. I try to follow the fish..... (I am sure that is what we all try to do..)... Right now the fish seem to be spread out and while concentrating on the spawing fish can be effective I have had more luck hitting the riffles (getting out and wading at times). I can't tell you how many times I have drifted through a stretch, picked up a fish or two, then hit it again or got out and waded and found several hungry fish.

The most common mistake or shortcomming I see in my clients (and friends) is in mending. Learning how and 'when' to mend may be the most important factor once you get in the boat. Yes even more important than your choice of bug. Presentation is critical (I guess that tells you where I stand on that age old question).... Many people cast late and mend late which means they are half way through the drift before they are effectively fishing. That means they probably missed the 'prime lie'.

Then again, there are days where you are doing it right and fish just have 'lockjaw'. Hopefully you still have fun being surrounded by the beauty of the outdoors. THis time of year there is a lot of pressure on the weekends so if you can eek out a mid week float the 'catching' should be better.

Just one man's opinion.....

Curt
NorCaldrifter56@yahoo.com
530-241-9411