PDA

View Full Version : I Must Be Getting Old....

Darian
04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Nothing like having some time on your hands to explore tying flies and assessing existing stocks of same. Of course, Assessing existing stocks of flies, some tied in the early 60's, makes one realize how much time has passed since the first fly during my teen age years.... Not a pleasant realization for someone who, until lately, didn't acknowledge problems associated with aging. :confused:

At any rate, some of the flies I have were tied for coastal Salmon and Steelheading in the mid-60's thru the early 80's. Many of them haven't touched water and probably never will. The interesting part is that some are tied on hooks that are no longer manufactured (e.g. Allcocks) or models that were close to being discontinued when the flies were tied (e.g. Mustad, model 7970, etc.). I still have some chenille purchased for Hash's Herls & Hackles (betcha don't remember that outfit). Plus, some stuff from Ned Gray. 8)

Salmon/Steelhead Patterns have changed over the years, too. I don't see many fly fishers using boss/comet patterns any longer. Of course, Dee/Spey patterns have made a resurgence over the last decade. Altho I'm not a devotee of spey casting, it's good to see that since Dee/Spey flies are beautiful. :)

So, this assessment is a type of stroll down memory lane. Brings to mind places like Piling, Park and Walker Holes on the Smith River; Fernbridge, Singley, Box Cars and a few up river holes on the Eel River; Redwood Creek and Mad River Estuaries, Garcia (Minor Hole) Gualala (Thompsons, Racetrack holes) and Russian Rivers (Austin Creek Riffle, Brown's Pool) and many others from the there down to Santa Cruz. :D

Lots of Trout flies in all sizes, too. I don't bother tying small flies any longer since I can't see them without a magnifier and don't find them any more effective than some larger sized patterns. I still have classic, soft hackle, wet fly patterns tied many moons ago for sea run Cutthroat and Trout in river streams and still waters. Even those have changed, drastically, over the years. (e.g. Beetles for Pyramid, etc.). :-|

Today, my interests lean heavily toward salty and warm water flies. I enjoy trying to develop flies that attract large, powerful and toothy critters. :smirk: At least they (the flies) are not small.... :lol:

Frank Alessio
04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Darian... You are not getting old... You are just honing your skills to a new level... it's all good.... Frank

BillB
04-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Darian... You are not getting old... You are just honing your skills to a new level... it's all good.... Frank

. . . and large toothy aggressive is REALLY good! Besides Darian, aside from the shoulder pain, don't you find it appealing being able to see that 6" "bug" rather than squinting all day trying to find a size 18 BWO in the film!?

Jay Murakoshi
04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Darian,

I have some Herter's products, San Francisco Fly Shop, anyone remember Doug "Dougee" Park, and many other products. Yeah, I guess us old farts keep it for memories. I have some "old" steelhead flies that are going to be eaten or straightened by a rooster.
It's hot in Baja

Jay

Larry S
04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Hey Darien:
Get some shadow boxes from Michaels' or Aaron Bros, etc and mount some of those
old flies. I'm getting around to doing that with some great old steelhead/salmon
flies (not my own creations.) Still looking for pieces of driftwood that will fit in the deeper boxes. Pass along your heritage.
Best to you,
Larry S

Darian
04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Hmmm,... Shadow boxes.... Might take a bunch of 'em, tho. :lol: Yep!!! It is all good; especially the really big, toothy critters.... :nod: Hopefully, I'll be joining Jay at La Paz in early june for some of the usual suspects.... Can't wait.... :fish: :fish: