PDA

View Full Version : Callibaetis nymph

Troutstalker55B
04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/a1_1_2_1.jpg

This pattern worked wonders in the late 90’s when Lake Davis had some massive callibaetis hatches in the north end of the lake. It is still my go to fly but some times all you need is an old school Hare’s Ear. Nymphs early and late in the season are a size 16, mid season a size 14. Add a black, copper, or gold bead if you wish to fish this deep. With just one feather I can tie a half dozen of these flies. Fiery Brown works well also. Fished best under a bobber.

RECIPE:

-Hook: Tiemco 5263, sizes 14 & 16.
-Uni Thread 6/0 olive.
-Tail: stiff fibers from a brown olive Jay Fair Schlappen hackle.
-Ribbing: Dubbing loop of thread rolled into a single rope.
-Body: Webby fibers from a brown olive Jay Fair Schlappen hackle dubbed onto thread.
-Wing Case & Legs: Stiff fibers from a brown olive Jay Fair Schlappen hackle.
-Flashback: Copper Jay Fair flash.
-Wing Case Mod: A small drop of Loon UV Knot Sense.

Jon.

gene goss
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks Jon....Great looking fly....I'll post this on the GBF board for the fishout sign-up.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2011, 09:11 AM
We started fishing a Callibaetis may fly emergence in the 1960s and 70s on Lake Solano on Putah Creek in old "Tucker Duck and Rubber Company" round float tubes.

Back then we used size 16 Hares Ear nymphs to cast to working fish in the surface.

We also used #16 Red Quill and #16 Adams dry flies.

This hatch came off in the summer around mid-day like clock work and it was very good fishing, especially if it was not windy.

The Callibaetis may fly is one of the most common and prolific may flies in North America.

I have seen this hatch from Nor Cal, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and even British Columbia.

I think they range from a 12 to a 16 in size on average. I read that they get progressively smaller through the summer. Also I think they are bigger in BC, Canada like a size 12?

Wonderful still water hatch.....

Here is a link to a great article on the Callibaetis by Ralph Cutter:

http://www.flyline.com/entomology/callibaetis/

Mike O
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
so much for fishing lake solano now, though...

Troutstalker55B
04-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Bill,

Thanks for the input! We are damn lucky to have Ralph and Lisa in our fly fishing family.

Jon.

gene goss
04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
We started fishing a Callibaetis may fly emergence in the 1960s and 70s on Lake Solano on Putah Creek in old "Tucker Duck and Rubber Company" round float tubes.

Back then we used size 16 Hares Ear nymphs to cast to working fish in the surface.

We also used #16 Red Quill and #16 Adams dry flies.

This hatch came off in the summer around mid-day like clock work and it was very good fishing, especially if it was not windy.

The Callibaetis may fly is one of the most common and prolific may flies in North America.

I have seen this hatch from Nor Cal, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and even British Columbia.

I think they range from a 12 to a 16 in size on average. I read that they get progressively smaller through the summer. Also I think they are bigger in BC, Canada like a size 12?

Wonderful still water hatch.....

Here is a link to a great article on the Callibaetis by Ralph Cutter:

http://www.flyline.com/entomology/callibaetis/

Thanks for the info. Bill....sometimes the black wiggle tail just doesn't work, and i'm looking for something else to use.