PDA

View Full Version : Mike Henle ties spectacular deer hair bass bugs!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Mike's spun deer hair bass bugs are so perfect they don't look like they are hand tied?

I saw one of his wiggle leg frogs at the Expo where Mike was tying his little beauties.

Mike and his dad, famous David HS football coach Bud Henle, are bass commandos.

It is great that Mike enjoys sharing his passion for fishing LMB as well as his love for making spectacular spun deer hair bass bugs.

May is the top month, on average, for top water bass fishing in Nor Cal.

PS: Thanks Mike for tying at our Expo last Saturday.

Her is Mike below getting another fly tier started.

SLOwag
04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Is Mike tying commercially?
I like deer hair for bass because they ride a little bit lower than foam...I've had bass slurp deer hair as if they were trout.

Darian
04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I second Bills description of Mikes tying skills. The deer hair in his deer hair frog is packed/trimmed so tightly, it almost looks like a solid body. :D Also, Mike ties in the rubber band legs using a looped piece of wire tied on to the hook shank. Somehow he manages to wrap the loop over the rubber legs and not interfere with packing more deer hair.... :nod: I have one in my collection. :D

I'm not sure whether Mike ties commercially but I'd guess that he doesn't. Completing one of his frogs takes quite a while and a lot of steps. Even tho the result is really good, I would think it's not commercially viable. Of course, Mike's the only one that can answer whether he's tying commercially.... :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Those are at least $20 bugs.

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I got to chat with Mike a few weeks ago. He was telling me about one of his frogs that seemed really interesting. I wish I could have seen it!

Darian
04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
If you get a chance to get one of Mikes bugs, keep it for a model or part of a collection.... :nod: