PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly new...Blantons rod bag.

FlyReelFisher
04-24-2011, 08:54 AM
This is not an inflammatory post, be forewarned. I asked this on Blantons board, the post kept getting removed.

I purchased two of Blantons "Rigged and Ready" rod bags a couple years back at Kienes. To this day, every time I use them, a yellowish sticky granular gunk is all over my rod and reel. It is as if there was a liner on the inside of the rod bag that disentigrates slowly. Other than this, I really like the bags. This sucks however.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long does it take to all go away/stop?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2011, 09:39 AM
We have not gotten any feedback at the shop.

briansII
04-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I have 2 of Dan's rod bags. I have had no trouble with them. I'm not sure what you are experiencing, but it sounds like the foam padding is getting on your reel/rod. My bags have a synthetic, cloth liner in the padded section. The fabric feels very durable. Only thing I can think of, maybe a hook point tore open your liner?

briansII

Ralph
04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Cordura used to be treated with K-coat which ultimately breaks down and does exactly as you describe. K-coat was discontinued around 2004 when DuPont sold the division to Koch. Perhaps your bags are more than a couple year's old?

FISHEYE
04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
I have not had that trouble with any of my 5 bags.

FlyReelFisher
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for your responses guys.

Ralph, you are probably spot on. I digged through Kienes stash when I bought them before shad season last year, picking out the astheticly pleasing color, maybe I bought some that were in stock for a while.

Thanks for the explanation about the codura liner, that makes perfect sense. Do you have any idea how long it takes to shed completely?

I asked on Blantons, just to know. But the post was taken down, twice. Not Blantons or Kienes fault. Just something I want to know. Maybe I can wash them and accelerate the process, and fully get this gunk out...

Ralph
04-24-2011, 03:36 PM
I had a backpack and a duffle that ultimately got thrown away because everything inside would get coated with yellow "sand". I tried removing the K-coat with acetone and toluene with limited success. I still have some duffel bags from that era that haven't had any problems. It may be an issue of quality control when the coating was applied or it may be because I stored or cleaned them wrong.

FlyReelFisher
04-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info Ralph. Bad news, but at least it will save me some time trying to fix this. They are probably going to end up in the trash. Thia gunk just keeps coming.

By the way, don't ever bother Blantons board about this. I now cannot access the message board from my home computer. It says "Under Construction. Will be back shortly." With a different IP address, I can log on right away.

Wonderful way to back up your product, ban someone from your message board for asking about a defective issue, and in a polite way too!

And I really like these rod bags, they are the close to the best.

FlyReelFisher
04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
How do you roll a truck in the chaparral? With little slope at that. I rolled a 72 dodge dart by Tracy. 30ft. The fire burned all my gear though. Do you know a graphite rod turns to hair when it burns?

I almost bought 7 or 8 myself, glad I didnt at the time. If it is a codura liner issue, as Ralph surmises, I might look for a change in the inner coating before I might replace them.

Maybe Ill sew a Levis leg into one like Schaadt...

I just really didn't appreciate the disdain when trying to bring this up elsewhere, but thank you for your help here guys!

FISHEYE
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Here are a couple of Blanton bag mods I made:

1) I used sticky backed velcro to add a piece of high density foam inside the opening of the bag. I stick the hook point in the foam and don't hook the bag.

2) I had a tailor down the street add flaps with velcro closure to all the bags to keep the rods tips from coming out. She did a cadillac job and it was not cheap but it will keep tips from working their way ot and getting broken. Cheap insurance when you travel and can't easily get a rod replacement.

1flyfisher
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I bet you can go to any local area upholstery shop or sewing shop and have them sew you up a nice rod reel bag for way less.
I've had upholstery shops make up custom bags for various items and things and it was surprisingly very inexpensive.

Just take those crappy ones you have to a few local upholstery shops and get price quotes. You can pick out the material you want them made out of and improve on the crappy ones that are falling apart. Have them make up as many as you and your friends might need. The more you can have them make the cheaper it will cost. You can sell them to your friends or others if you have entrepreneurial aspirations.