PDA

View Full Version : Tying Damsel Nymphs

Troutstalker55B
04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/LakeDavis999_1_2_1.jpg

I have been adjusting and tweaking my damsel patterns over the years and if there was one thing that made a difference was to keep the fly simple. The damsel fly migration at our top still waters like Lake Davis is a hatch that brings out fly anglers from all over. The migration itself is a miracle, how these fragile nymphs swim great distances to land, a willow, or some aquatic weeds that are above the water to hatch into an adult. This fishing is some of the best all year, trout show themselves in the shallows and sight fishing opportunities await the observant trout stalker. They call this the "Gentleman's Hatch" as the nymphs get active in the mid morning until early afternoon, there is no need to be out there at o'dark thirty! Warm, windless days provide the best conditions for the hatch.

When tying damsel imitations a few key points should be made. The fly should have movement, the right size and profile (think slender), and the right buoyancy to keep the fly in the strike zone. The foam keeps this fly right under the surface in that 1-2 foot water column. You can also just let this fly sit and rest just like the natural does without fear your fly is going to drop like a rock to the bottom. When it comes to color these nymphs change as the aquatic vegetation does to camouflage themselves from predators. Early in the season the weeds are dark so damsels will be a light coco brown or a brown olive. Mid season more olive and green tones. Late season pale olive to tan works well.

This damsel nymph will never leave you in distress!

RECIPE:

Hook: Tiemco 2457 #12.
Tail: Jay Fair marabou.
Body: Jay Fair marabou dubbed on thread.
Head: Closed cell foam.
Eyes: Larva Lace body material.

1flyfisher
04-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I've seen em start crawling up the banks as early as late april(rare). Normal years we see them start around the beginning of may first or second week with a trickle here and a trickle there and the fish start to move around for them along the banks. So far some good warm spring weather this year(except for today). Lots of snow in your pics. I haven't been up there since late january so I can't predict when the bugs will start. Once I see the lake and the snow on the west shore then I can tell. Either way I bet it will probably be later than usual with all the snow yet to melt(as you've said and your pics) and the lake will be rising for a while. That will delay things. Depends on how hot it gets weather wise also. Time to start tying some bugs. Water temps around 60-62 they usually start tricklin up the banks a bit and you see some swimmers. Might be a while before we hit those temps.

Troutstalker55B
04-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I've seen em start crawling up the banks as early as late april(rare). Normal years we see them start around the beginning of may first or second week with a trickle here and a trickle there and the fish start to move around for them along the banks. So far some good warm spring weather this year(except for today). Lots of snow in your pics. I haven't been up there since late january so I can't predict when the bugs will start. Once I see the lake and the snow on the west shore then I can tell. Either way I bet it will probably be later than usual with all the snow yet to melt(as you've said and your pics) and the lake will be rising for a while. That will delay things. Depends on how hot it gets weather wise also. Time to start tying some bugs. Water temps around 60-62 they usually start tricklin up the banks a bit and you see some swimmers. Might be a while before we hit those temps.

We need that sun to come out, and stay out. You saw last year how those bugs hate the cold. That hatch sucked. I still have a few of your damsels in my box and they have saved the day more than once. I think it's a good idea to carry a wide selection of different patterns when the trout get picky, that can be frustrating when you get refusals. Get out to Mallard!

Jon.

1flyfisher
04-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Need Some nice warm weather in the 70's. yeah last year sucked and the year before wasn't so hot either. Gonna be interesting to see what happens this year. I have a good feeling. Maybe I'm being optimistic. But I still think there are tons of bugs in there just waiting. We'll see. Definitely a wide selection of styles, colors, shapes etc is a good idea. I tie them from dark brown to light tan/golden, shades of green from bright to dark olive. Burnt red eyes, green eyes, yellow eyes.....I have a few magic markers. Wingcases with all sorts of stuff, pheasant tail, swiss straw, brown foam, I have this really cool saltwater stuff for minnow bodies that I use for damsel legs. It makes for a good dead in the water damsel or swimmer. Stuff looks just like the swept back damsel legs when they're swimming and then when they stop their legs pop out. This stuff nails it perfectly.

The damsel hatch just gets tougher every day. The fish just get tough on the fake damsels as they have seen and eaten so many real ones after a few weeks and the fakies with the tippet just stop working. The wiggle can not be duplicated like the real thing. Just not going to happen. They get smart. But when that happens I have a few tricks that I go to.
I remember fishing with jay, glen, this dude bob and jays brother in law? and big 20"+ fish were swimming up and down the banks porposing all over and we could only hook one to 3 fish each. That's when I began to rethink things and figured out a few tricks that work well enough.

We need that sun to come out, and stay out. You saw last year how those bugs hate the cold. That hatch sucked. I still have a few of your damsels in my box and they have saved the day more than once. I think it's a good idea to carry a wide selection of different patterns when the trout get picky, that can be frustrating when you get refusals. Get out to Mallard!

Jon.

gene goss
04-24-2011, 01:25 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/LakeDavis999_1_2_1.jpg

I have been adjusting and tweaking my damsel patterns over the years and if there was one thing that made a difference was to keep the fly simple. The damsel fly migration at our top still waters like Lake Davis is a hatch that brings out fly anglers from all over. The migration itself is a miracle, how these fragile nymphs swim great distances to land, a willow, or some aquatic weeds that are above the water to hatch into an adult. This fishing is some of the best all year, trout show themselves in the shallows and sight fishing opportunities await the observant trout stalker. They call this the "Gentleman's Hatch" as the nymphs get active in the mid morning until early afternoon, there is no need to be out there at o'dark thirty! Warm, windless days provide the best conditions for the hatch.

When tying damsel imitations a few key points should be made. The fly should have movement, the right size and profile (think slender), and the right buoyancy to keep the fly in the strike zone. The foam keeps this fly right under the surface in that 1-2 foot water column. You can also just let this fly sit and rest just like the natural does without fear your fly is going to drop like a rock to the bottom. When it comes to color these nymphs change as the aquatic vegetation does to camouflage themselves from predators. Early in the season the weeds are dark so damsels will be a light coco brown or a brown olive. Mid season more olive and green tones. Late season pale olive to tan works well.

This damsel nymph will never leave you in distress!

RECIPE:

Hook: Tiemco 2457 #12.
Tail: Jay Fair marabou.
Body: Jay Fair marabou dubbed on thread.
Head: Closed cell foam.
Eyes: Larva Lace body material.

Hey Jon...Thanks for the pattern, i'll post it on the GBF web. site for our fishout at Davis Lake....also do you have a callibaetis pattern to share with us. Thanks

gene goss
04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Your right Jon about the damsel fly nymph...it has to be in the strike zone, here is a picture of my suspended damsel fly nymph, you can find tying info. on this web. site. http://gbflycasters.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5202715

Maybe some of the other board member would like to post there favorite damsel fly nymph.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/DSC00200-2.jpg

Troutstalker55B
04-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Gene,

I'll post my pattern here when I get a chance, it's a guide tie just like my damsel - simple and effective. In regards to other board memebers posting their damsel patterns, I would love to see them so post away!

Jon.

gene goss
04-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Gene,

I'll post my pattern here when I get a chance, it's a guide tie just like my damsel - simple and effective. In regards to other board memebers posting their damsel patterns, I would love to see them so post away!

Jon.

I like to see them too.....i'm still looking for that million dollar fly that would work on those selective trout.