PDA

View Full Version : It's Getting Higher Yet!

Tony Buzolich
04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I hate to say it but Ron is correct about the conditions. Today,(Friday) the river has come up more than two feet and that's two more than the day before. Yes, there are full grown trees, stumps, limbs of every size and more coming down. The flow at Gridley is now up to 9800cfs and the Yuba is up to 15400. This is bringing an incredible amount of debris down. At the mouth of the Yuba the water is browner than the Feather and flowing cold.

But still, there is that urge to fish, and we go anyway. This morning we got on the water too early to see well. We were having to go slow and dodge oncoming limbs and logs. When we got to our favorite wall there were only the willows now half covered with water. Areas that we could work and drift slowly now shot us by too fast to get our flies down deep enough to be effective. We eventually found some slower water and areas near the pumps that had large eddies. This allowed us to get deeper. Guys are still dunking bait and bouncing minnows but boats are more scattered throughout the river. A friend of mine brought his boat up from Verona to avoid the traffic farther up and did okey.

Today was by far the toughest day yet to fish but we still managed a few. All seem to be males spilling milt. Fly colors didn't seem to matter as much as getting it down to them and getting their attention. Water visibility was just over foot below the Yuba.
TONY
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/003upload-1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/005upload.jpg

Scott V
04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I think the fish were just happy to see you Tony. You make this desk jockey real jealous. I can't wait til I don't have to sit at a desk any more.

WinterrunRon
04-26-2011, 02:01 PM
You're a brave man, Tony. Those flows are crazy. I've never seen the Yuba double in volume like that in such a short time. Must be a sight to see!

I'm glad to see your perseverance is paying you dividends.